The Sewing Place

Do I need an overlocker?

Marniesews

Re: Do I need an overlocker?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 15:14:01 PM »
It really depends how you define need in your case. You can manage without one but that's not the same. Unless you sew a very limited range of items or are happy using more labour intensive methods such a couture techniques, once you've had one you'll undoubtedly feel it's in the 'definitely need' category. I waited until my sixties to get one and have seriously wondered why ever since.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Elnnina

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 16:25:23 PM »
Yes I agree with others it takes your sewing up to another level.  I actually overlock all my toile edges once they have been cut out as I find it so much nicer and easier to handle when there are no nasty threads which seem to grow as you are making a toile up.  I also do the same when a garment is cut out again saving the edges from fraying.

I am in the Bernina camp - I actually have two overlockers, however one of them converts to coverstitching. Why have two you may ask.  Well a few years ago I had an elderly friend whose overlocker a very old Bernina one was playing up, and she wanted a new one but felt she couldn't justify buying a new one.  Well at that time I had a Bernina 1100DA which was a few years old, nothing wrong with it at at all, but  I was altering some knit garments and realised that a coverstitch machine would have been really useful so went investigating.  The shop I used was selling the top of the range Bernina 25000DCET an overlocker and coverstitch in one machine - at a silly price as it was their demo model, and my elderly friend bought my smaller one.  Sadly my friend became terminally ill and was keen to sort her sewing room stuff out, and I agreed to have my original overlocker back and that was a relief to her.  However when I collected this I found she had not even used it in the few years she had this - such a shame.  So I have the best of both worlds, I tend to use the smaller one for everyday stitching, and use the bigger machine when I want something more than overlocking, i.e. chain stitching or coverstitching.  These machines are not cheap, they are lovely to use, quiet and stable, and I was so lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 18:28:14 PM »
I bought one with an inheritance and thought it would be a breeze as I was already a dab hand with a sewing machine.  Wrong!  They're very different beasts and take time to learn.  I found Chris James's book "The Complete Serger Handbook" an absolute gem for learning.

My machine is a five-thread Singer from back when Singer was a manufacturer, not just a brand, and it has cover stitch capability.  I have found that feature handy, not only in making things, but in shortening over-long jersey tops.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 19:04:32 PM »
I'm another Bernina 1100 owner @Elnnina.  Such an easy threader and purrs lovely.

Elnnina

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 22:10:27 PM »
Ohsewsimple I very nearly used the word 'purrs', but thought I had sung the Bernina's praises enough, but yes I do agree with you not only do the overlockers purr  the sewing machines do as well !!!

SkoutSews

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
None of this "tie the thread in knots to the old thread and pull it through to change colour!"

Whyever not?  It's a dead easy cheat. Not that threading is so bad or so difficult.  Just follow the instructions in the handbook and all will be well.

Greybird

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
I tie mine in knots too. Mostly works really well. On the occasion I do need to re-thread from scratch, I have got much better at it. The breakthrough came when I made myself learn to use the tweezers properly and push the thread through - it didn't come naturally I'm afraid!

Ploshkin

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 13:28:26 PM »
I'm with you on that Fran.  When I got my overlocker I immediately pulled out the threads it came with and learned how to thread it which wasn't at all difficult.  I think all modern machines have colour coded threading routes anyway.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 21:10:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with tying the threads and pulling through.   Never run them through o you could damage the looper.  But you have to know how to thread them from scratch in case a looper thread breaks.  If you buy from a local dealer they should show you the basics. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 21:18:39 PM »
When I change thread colour I knot the new colour in one at a time and sew the thread through. It usually works fine. If I have to properly rethread as long as I work from right to left it is fine. Mine is a fairly old and quite cheap overlocker but it has been great. I'm sure I need to think about a new one sometime though.  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 22:24:28 PM »
I didn't think I needed one until I got one, now I've got two  :S just in case one breaks down  :fish: :fish: :fish:

Nevis5

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:28 AM »
I'm another enabler who would not be without my overlocker.  I had an Elna back in the day first of all (think it was about 1997 or thereabouts) which I used for years but I managed to break a chunk off it eventually and couldn't find anyone locally to repair it.   About five years ago I bought a Babylock Imagine online and it has been wonderful.  Have never had a second's problem with it and I have overlocked miles and miles with it.  It has the jet air threading but I'm comfortable with rethreading machines anyway with or without that and the automatic tension is brilliant.

I don't think you would regret buying one, @wrenkins  :devil:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 06:15:32 AM »
I didn't find it difficult at all to learn the basics, much less intimidating then the computerized sewing machine with embroidery module I got a few years later. If you want intimidation and a steep learning curve, buy an embroidery machine.  :S

What I always do with a new machine is pull the manual and read the whole thing. Next day I get together lots of remnants and unbox the machine. Then I work through the manual with the machine and like with the sewing machine did samples in order of all 67 stitches on a couple of different fabrics. Feel free to call me OCD.

With the serger I practiced some stitching then did the tie on to rethread. It wouldn't stitch properly. Called the manufacturer and the nice person talked me through. We discussed seaming, as people had been telling me you could only use it to neaten edges or seams, NOT construct with it. I was told by someone who uses one how to do some things that weren't in the manual to get better results. She also suggested it was better to remove the thread by cutting near the spool and sewing it out then to clean out the tension slots before I rethreaded, as so many problems with a serger are related to tension. I actually find it faster and easier to do that then the tie on way, at least with my hands. YMMV. Online Singer has a giant color photo and instructions on rethreading my machine and that helps.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Poolygirl

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:27 AM »
I couldn't  manage without mine, but does depend on what you sew. I use mine forvtidy seams, a lot of lycra and love a rolled hem. I mustvadmitvthough I am someone when they want rather than need  I'm afraid the want takes over. Not long for Christmas lol

Ellabella

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
Repeat after me "Upper Looper, Lower Looper, Right needle, Left Needle..............."   

Mind you my next one is going to have air threading, very excited! :D