The Sewing Place

Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st

Renegade Sewist

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 00:15:29 AM »
Time to replenish my pillowcase collection. Too sloooooow at anything else to compete.
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 04:18:28 AM »

@Helen M, all kind of preparations such as toile making, fitting, amending the pattern, etc. are allowed to be done beforehand.  :)

@Manuela, on that note in some competitions cutting beforehand is sometimes allowed. Where are we on that for this competition? (not like I really think I would get to it; you never know)
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Manuela

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »
@Manuela, on that note in some competitions cutting beforehand is sometimes allowed. Where are we on that for this competition? (not like I really think I would get to it; you never know)

I’d have no problem with that  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 05:54:30 AM »
Cool. Thanks Manuela.  :)

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
Cool. Thanks Manuela.  :)
Does that mean that you committed to take part? Hint, hint  :devil:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 17:49:26 PM »
Yes! Photos are another matter, but I'll try to get that sorted out. Don't get too excited though. My sewing is usually far from impressive....very far.  :S

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 19:14:45 PM »
I feel a bit silly now!!! when I read the list(2019 Jan) and it said stash I thought you were talking about all the off cuts from other things that you have made. So off I went to the box(large) with all offcuts in and started choosing fabric that went well together then I thought how does the forum make a garment out of all these offcuts(stash) >< I ironed all the little bits of fabric some no bigger than 4" to 1/2 metre stacked them up and thought the only thing I could make is a quilt or Joesph multi coloured dream coat :o
Then I read Skoutsew post and they mention they have had projects that have been bought for a long time and it was a shove to complete those.  0_0 it is not bits of fabric thats just called stash it is fabric you've bought for a garment that you never started! thank goodness for that this has puzzled me for days.
 I have two projects all fabric and pattern ready bought November 2017 but never started so I will do one of those.

I still feel silly

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 19:51:21 PM »
That's not silly at all @Ragtimedoll . I've made several garments from lots of little bits! You could make something really nice.  :)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 20:51:05 PM »
Ah, the subtle difference between stash busting and scrap busting.  :D More commonly you see the Darkside denizens  talk about scrap busting, as Q & P as well as applique lend themselves to saving every little scrap -search confetti quilts to see what I mean.

Most Sewists I know have vast yardage stockpiled for whenever in the future they get to that project. See a good sale, buy. See another one, buy more. And on it goes. No matter if you (me) only sew three or four items in a year. We must be prepared in case inspiration strikes.  :toast:

Actually, if I get the main project done I have a secondary project in mind that will use up any and all scraps from the first one.  >:)

edited to adjust spelling.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 23:48:11 PM by Renegade Sewist »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 23:33:09 PM »
Renegade, you describe it so well.   Oh the burden of inspration!  I'm pretty sure my stash will not bust. Maybe nibble at the edges.

Manuela

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 00:23:22 AM »
I feel a bit silly now!!! when I read the list(2019 Jan) and it said stash I thought you were talking about all the off cuts from other things that you have made. So off I went to the box(large) with all offcuts in and started choosing fabric that went well together then I thought how does the forum make a garment out of all these offcuts(stash) >< I ironed all the little bits of fabric some no bigger than 4" to 1/2 metre stacked them up and thought the only thing I could make is a quilt or Joesph multi coloured dream coat :o

You could use those for the Refashion, Recycle and Upcycle contest - I’m happy to include scraps there.
BTW, I made a  Techno Coloured Dream Coat for the school’s musical performance 2 years ago. I used all kind of upholstery fabric samples, patched them together into strips of one colour arranged in an ombre effect and then sewed the strips together. It looked great - too bad there was not enough time to incorporate LED lights....

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
You comments are amazing and some made me laugh! however I have only two stashes to my name and both fabrics have a pattern attached waiting to be done. I have 15 stashes or packets containing 10 balls  of wool in each all waiting with patterns to knit. I have 6 quilts waiting to be backed, I have 12 different B.O.M to finishes I have 30 cross stitches I do one through the summer (better light) I love to read and read (try ) two books  a month. I play the piano, so really for dressmaking I only buy fabric for the pattern I have found and use that fabric for nothing else. Stashing fabric that as no project (pattern) as never crossed my mind.

Perhaps I could change!

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 10:22:45 AM »
I think I got a bit confused.

I tried to combine selfless with stash busting so I had a go at busting Craftsy's stash. Actually I had two goes...  :(  :|

:angry: Well they keep having sales and I need to make the postage worthwhile and they have such pretty things......and I am weak...very very weak...  :[ and poor
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
I have removed my post - apologies that my attempt at humour misfired.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:57:54 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
@Ragtimedoll, I think we need an UFO contest just for you.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:35:47 AM by Manuela »