Lowena

Re: Stash Busting Contest - January 1st to January 31st
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 13:22:57 PM »
 :P @Pearl  ... you know you're only jealous  :angel: :D <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Manuela

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 14:17:41 PM »
Not just for @Ragtimedoll .  Maybe not a competition (unless the winner is the sewist with the most UFOs), but a challenge would be great.  That would be so unifying.  Light and darksiders, everyone (except @Lowena  :angel:).

Hmm, how about a year-long challenge starting in January to see who finishes the most UFOs @Pearl ? Is @Lowena in my camp, as in not having any UFOs?

Kwaaked

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 14:29:59 PM »
Well, my stash is...heck, I don't have my inventory at home.  Well over 2000 meters.  Last count, I have 14 or 15 tubs of the stuff, wrapped on comic board neatly and double stacked in each tub.  Out of that, I have about half a tub of fabric I'd never use (you know the fabrics bought online, bought on sale, didn't come out as expected, etc.), half for my husband's fabrics and one tub for my daughter.  Doesn't include my muslin fabrics, though.

And I inherited my mom's fabric, which is a good half again as much as I have. And no, I haven't gone through it.  I have no idea what she has fully.

Recalling all this fabric is one of the few things my synesthesia is actually good for.  I can't tell you what tub my fabric is in most of the time (I can get in the general area, but not exact tub) but I can tell you what the fabric is and color (like dragonfruit satin) but not content.  And I can tell you the year and day of the week I bought it, although not always the month.

fajita

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 14:37:30 PM »
What's the difference between a UFO and a WIP?  (Twiddles thumbs now sewing things out of bounds until Christmas visitation period has expired).

Kwaaked

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2018, 14:54:30 PM »
@Fajita to me a WIP is one you're actively working on and a UFO is one that is set aside an not being worked on.

Ploshkin

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 15:03:16 PM »
I think we need a glossary of terms.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2018, 15:05:57 PM »
Yes @Manuela  I have no UFOs or any stash. I buy specifically for each project, any leftovers get ditched ( recycled ) unless it's a big bit of fabric ( FQ or bigger ) which can be incorporated into the next project. That way everything is kept neat, tidy and accounted for
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2018, 15:37:07 PM »
Hmm, how about a year-long challenge starting in January to see who finishes the most UFOs @Pearl ? Is @Lowena in my camp, as in not having any UFOs?

Yes, please!  I'd love that. We could list our UFOs in January and post pics of them as we finish. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 15:40:19 PM by Pearl »

Sewingsue

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 15:39:38 PM »
@Fajita to me a WIP is one you're actively working on and a UFO is one that is set aside an not being worked on.
I must admit I thought people used WIP because 'in progress' sounds better than 'unfinished'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sonatine

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 16:11:30 PM »
I have a stash that is much bigger than it should be considering how few projects I've ever actually finished! Most of it is small pieces from before I was really interested in historical fashion but I've got 5m of grey suiting which I bought 5 years ago so I'm going to try to make an early-mid 1880s riding habit. It'll be a bit of a squeeze but there should just about be enough fabric. I've already got B6400 for the jacket (view C with some modification to the back pleats) and I'm going to use TV264 for the skirt.

Kwaaked

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2018, 16:38:54 PM »
I must admit I thought people used WIP because 'in progress' sounds better than 'unfinished'.

I rarely have UFOs, but I do WIPs.  I have one UFO right now.  I made a dress in May and didn't finish it, rare for me.  I made a hi-low hem and hate where it hits, and waited for my mom to help me and she never got the chance because of several things.  Now it's sitting on my dress form waiting to be hemmed and the binding added.

It got too cold to wear it, so I never bothered with it.  And it will sit on the form until Spring when I decide I want to wear it.

Now WIP is usually how I sew.  Since my normal sewing is to a season, I can have 10-30 items at a time I am working on in various stages.  With my parents' illnesses I didn't sew like that, but I did keep projects going as I went.  Most were hand sewn, but I'd work on them 10-15 minutes at a time but never did put it aside.

Holly Berry

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2018, 17:25:19 PM »
@toileandtrouble, if you make the covers for the Poang chairs, I will watch with interest as I have two very faded ones, from being in the conservatory
Procrastination get behind me

toileandtrouble

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2018, 18:01:54 PM »
Not me, I did consider it briefly but had too much to do.  It was WildAtlanticWay who was going to bite the bullet. 
If I did, it would not be a loose cover, but basically taking the cushion apart and remaking in a different fabric.  I would also put some extra strips of velcro on the base of the back cushion, so that someone (nameless) doesn't keep pushing it to one side. (mutter mutter).
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ragtimedoll

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2018, 18:48:38 PM »
That would be great! a year to complete UFOs, I have so many I would have to decide which ones could be completed for this year I am not listing them all. I do make soft toys (rag dolls) some are finished sort of. I have three knitted cardigans that are almost finished just all need one sleeve each. Upholstery! I did finish putting fabric on my piano stool. :loveit: Need to finish my old armchair though  -<
I have 2 jackets which I have fabric for to start, I have a coat  which needs a collar and yes! two sleeves it is funny how this needs sleeves like my cardigans (maybe a pattern forming here perhaps I don't like sleeves)

Would this UFOs start at the same time as the Jan contest?
@Lowena... you could join in and share some of my UFOs ha!ha! or just sit and chat! or we could give a pass to those who have no UFOs  to buy a project so everyone can join in and be a team <3

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »
I have a huge resource centre of fabric, I decided to call it the resource centre rather than the stash so I would be more willing to use it. (A stash sounded like something I needed to keep, and I want to use it).
Last year I replaced the large open shelves, with a slightly smaller closed cupboard and managed to give away a lot of the fabric that did not fit in.
I've also been using the Stash Shrinker spreadsheet from https://sewjourners.net/2018/01/02/stash-shrinker/
You can adjust the multiplier - mine is only set to 2.
So far this year I have sewn 121 metres of fabric (but bought 64). I did more sewing earlier in the year.

Anyway I would like to join in! I have lots of fabrics still to choose from.