Sorry that you hated it,
sorry that I could not explain it simply enough and
sorry that you got all frustrated!

Please forgive me!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lantana

Re: Block of the Month - April
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 21:15:13 PM »
Oh poor you Lowena ..... it's your machine I bet ..... same as mine I reckon. Like you I sew and cut carefully but ..... I did manage to get this unmentionable thingy more or less okish after a few tears lol. Well I didn't really cry but was near to it. And as for the mystery .... spent more time unpicking today .... how difficult can it be? How many times have I got to double check and still sew things on a**e about face????
Clearly our hobby is not called the dark side for nothing!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

L :vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 21:36:19 PM »
However you feel about your block, Lowena, the colour combination is cracking - I love it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 00:32:55 AM »
Yep, the colours and the fabrics are great.. pity about the rest of it  :angry:!!!!!!
Nothing wrong with the instructions and explanations Imi  <3 just the execution  :|
You're quite right Lanty, the dark side indeedy  :devil: Hope you got the mystery sorted out  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
Well I like it and if you look closely at pictures in books not all the "matchings" are perfect, so give yourself a pat on the back. At least you had a go and if it were to go in a quilt, once quilted no-one would notice. :flower: :flower:
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
You have always said that you have trouble cutting haven't you Low???

And you must have cut these with a ruler and RC, yes?

Do you have the sandpaper dots that I sent you on the underneath of your ruler??

Because what I can see is a wonky cut, which if sewed back to the piece it had been cut from would've matched
but you probably separated the bits up and got them out of order...which is fine if cut straight.

Now Quilty was looking for a specific ruler at one years FoQ, where you place the RC in slots in the ruler to give perfect cuts .....

Was it the Shape cut Quilty ???

http://www.quiltdirect.co.uk/acatalog/JT797.html#SID=439

or Truecut ??

https://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/truecut-ruler-track-6-5-x-12-5-inch/701204?gclid=CjwKEAjw2qzHBRChloWxgoXDpyASJAB01Io0uofj4tuKX7c7ZumgfNkwO6TcoxEb53SsUbgm9XETPBoCunHw_wcB

I think that might be the problem Low... Do you have a ruler where your RC actually sits inside a track as it were?
Any how, never mind, Im just so pleased you sat down and tried and again apologies for your upset and frustration.

Lowena

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »
No need for you to apologise Im, it's me who's the numpty  :| Yes, I have the shape cut ruler ( with the slits ) and I have the sandpaper dots...so... that must prove something about me  :D ( and no, I haven't got my negative hat on - I can laugh about it )  :D
Truth be told ( whispers..) I don't like the look of that block anyway, so I probably wouldn't have made any more in the future  ;)
I'm away for half of May ( poet, moi? ) but I will have time and inclination to do May's block  :ninja:

Lantana

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 19:47:21 PM »

You're quite right Lanty, the dark side indeedy  :devil: Hope you got the mystery sorted out  <3

Oh I like my new nickname!  :)

I forgot to mention that I dropped the iron on the floor ... no that's not quite true ...... the iron jumped off the table when my back was turned and although I picked it up right away had started to melt the carpet! So had to stop to clean the iron. Not my day!

Well I like it and if you look closely at pictures in books not all the "matchings" are perfect, so give yourself a pat on the back. At least you had a go and if it were to go in a quilt, once quilted no-one would notice. :flower: :flower:

Maliw is quite right, I've been making a point (pun intended) of noticing! So have a back pat from me as well.

I see Im has identified the problem I'd been wondering about getting one of those slotted rulers as I also have trouble using rotary cutters, however I got one of these instead :-

https://www.barnyarns.co.uk/quliters-slidelock-14-35cm-arctic-ice.html

Expensive but I waited for the sale and bought it as I was so fed up of the ruler slipping while I was making the Kaleido blocks. They demonstrate the large one for cutting strips but I went for the smaller one as being more convenient to use for smaller cuts. I measure with the ruler slide this up to it and then cut. Being thicker it also stops my other trick of slicing onto the ruler! {I wished I'd got the larger one when Im instructed us to cut strips :[ }

PS I see I have a record of what the carpet looked like before it got an iron shape melted into it. Decided to see it as a fashion statement ... all sewing room carpets should have iron shapes burnt into them!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 19:51:54 PM by Lantana »

Vegegrow

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 20:14:47 PM »

Oh I like my new nickname!  :)

I forgot to mention that I dropped the iron on the floor ... no that's not quite true ...... the iron jumped off the table when my back was turned and although I picked it up right away had started to melt the carpet! So had to stop to clean the iron. Not my day!

PS I see I have a record of what the carpet looked like before it got an iron shape melted into it. Decided to see it as a fashion statement ... all sewing room carpets should have iron shapes burnt into them!

Lanty.. 0_0 .. have you any spare carpet... I turned on the wrong plug and wondered what the smell of burning was... I had a perfect iron shape on my carpet I cut it out with a scalpel knife and used it to cut a new piece put a few bits of double sided tape underneath  and voila a perfect mend I hoovered over it yesterday you'd never know...
At This point I should mention the oil stain on the other side of the room... the oil filled radiator leaked... I just ignore it
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 22:17:50 PM »
Lantana, what is that fabulous looking quilt that you have surreptitiously tacked on to your post without a mention?
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 00:05:46 AM »
Lanty, what's the attached piccy of???
Errant block is now in the bin......no reminder of  :devil: block for me ( and I still can't see the resemblance to an arrow head  :P )
Is the burn in a visible place Lanty? Have you got a rug?

Lantana

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2017, 00:41:56 AM »
Lantana, what is that fabulous looking quilt that you have surreptitiously tacked on to your post without a mention?

Thankyou for liking it Ploshkin,

Well I did sort of mention it .... these are the kaleido blocks that I was having trouble with cutting on account of slippage that led me to try the slidelock thingy. The photo doesn't seem to show up the flaws as much as in real life.  :)

I'd spent ages on e-bay getting enough fq's of the animals fabric. I'd only done a few blocks while I was still living in Wales and only got going on it again recently. I've decided to make it bigger possibly a quillow for my son. Obviously no chance of getting more fabric so am making foundation pieced animals from 'A quilter's Ark' by Margaret Rolfe to make more blocks and then will fill in with all the scraps generated by the fussy cutting of the original fabric.

Sorry Iminei to be putting non BOM pictures on this thread. My BOM is finished just not taken the piccy yet.

Vegegrow I'm glad I'm not the only iron-arsonist on this forum! The only bit of spare carpet is being used as the doormat so is in an even worse state!

So Lowena rug it will have to be!

Oil filled rads can leak Veg? oh eck I've also got one on the other side of the room but so far it's not had any leakage!

Lowena

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 02:04:51 AM »
As Nelson might have said ( had he been a quilter ) I see no slippage  :D

Iminei

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2017, 08:26:23 AM »
What a lovely lil quiltet Lanty... Beautiful!

and that slidelock thing seems like a very useful device to have...

It seems to be part straight edge, part glass fixer thingymy with suction cups (?) going through to the fabric???
Does it really work ???
Maybe you could put a review of the Slidelock thing in the habby section, Im sure a lot of peeps would be interested.

Get your BOM up on here Lanty so we can get this thread back on track...

Lantana

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2017, 23:57:39 PM »
What a lovely lil quiltet Lanty... Beautiful!

and that slidelock thing seems like a very useful device to have...

It seems to be part straight edge, part glass fixer thingymy with suction cups (?) going through to the fabric???
Does it really work ???
Maybe you could put a review of the Slidelock thing in the habby section, Im sure a lot of peeps would be interested.

Get your BOM up on here Lanty so we can get this thread back on track...

Yes I'd been wondering if enough people woud be interested for me to post a review ... had fully intended to do it this evening after having seen your comment at lunch time. Ditto putting up the pic of my block (also my strata) ..... however have just fallen asleep (yet again!) at the puter so I'm going to have to leave it till the morning as I don't want to wake up too much  :)

Thanks for your kind comments re the quiltlet (aka WIP)

I'm in the process of making another Arrowhead but just like the first having trouble matching the corners when attaching the final two pieces. It's an intriguing block isn't it? I can see that making them, once the technique has been perfected, could be very soothing and addictive.  <3

Night night ..... hope things are getting sorted in your household  :)

:vintage: