The Sewing Place

Sewing Aunties, a ruler question....

BrendaP

Re: Sewing Aunties, a ruler question....
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 21:35:49 PM »
I like @Acorn 's stash of quilters.  Or maybe an angle of quilters.

As for the ruler, I've got a 60 degree isosolese triangle ruler - which I've used once - the big 6" x 24" with it's 60 degree markings is much more useful and user friendly to me.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:14 AM »
Well, here they're the scary church ladies.

Whom I avoid.  I CAN sew, but I do not quilt. 

The guilt!  The guilt!!  DH is a vet AND I sew.  Oh Lord, you guys know how much tsking I get?

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 07:09:01 AM »
@TP

First ruler to buy (all in inches) ... 6 x 24
concurrent with that ... 12 1/2 sq
then ... 6 x 12 (less wieldly)
than ... 6 1/2 sq

Anything smaller than that , you can get all sizes is in my opinion too fiddly to use and raises the chance of cutting yourself rather than the fabric exponentially as they get smaller
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:13:10 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 07:34:33 AM »
....then, after you're really hooked you get the specialty rulers or template sets. I discovered I love doing the Drunkards Path block. A friend loaned me hers and it was  <3 at first cut. I stumbled across a set, new in the blister wrap for $1 last year at a library fundraiser sale. When you get into funky shapes having the template adds a whole lot of joy into your life. They come in all sorts of sizes so you can let your imagination fly.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
@TP
...all in inches...

Oh yes!  Don't fall for anything that has centimetres.  Quilting happens in inches and it really won't work if you start off down the metric route.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

TartanPaint

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
@Iminei @Kwaaked @Renegade Sewist @Acorn

Thank you all for your replies.

I have a nice colourway in mind so I'll look through my stash or buy the stuff in the colours I need.

:)
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."