The Sewing Place

RTW - T-shirts - ASDA

jen

Re: RTW - T-shirts - ASDA
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
I used to make everything. Now I’m selective. I just bought a parka style jacket half price at eighty pounds. Though not cheap, no way could I have bought all the fabric, the duck down padding, the zips, press studs, fur trim for that price. By contrast, many times I’ve picked up either a beautiful fabric in a sale, or a lesser value length in a market and run up tops or trousers. I keep in mind the issues around exploitative pay and the environment, but feel that as individuals we can’t make decisions that are right from every possible perspective. Being able to sew is a boon, it shouldn’t become a cross to carry. If it’s not fun don’t do it.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 12:20:10 PM »
@wrenkins, the pediatrician might make the skirts for the children's benefit. It might help put them at ease.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
@wrenkins, the pediatrician might make the skirts for the children's benefit. It might help put them at ease.
That's exactly why she does it.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:46 AM »
I have a mix of RTW and self sewn.
In my self sewn knit tops I have patterns (hard to find in RTW), the neckline I like and enough room in the arms.
Knit tops are stretchy so if the fabric is stretchy enough sometimes bought ones are OK in the arms.

My big problem with fit (sorry going off topic here) is woven fabrics with no stretch e.g. shirts with a collar for work. I generally cannot get them to fit, though I found a style from CottonTraders that is OK, so maybe I should just buy multiples of that. I've had fit problems when sewing shirts also, but have learned a lot about my required alterations now, so maybe could have another go.