The Sewing Place

Industrial sized self-healing cutting surface - not giving up just yet

Lowena

Re: Industrial sized self-healing cutting surface - not giving up just yet
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
I don't find replacement blades expensive if I buy them online. I get them from Amazon unless I am buying other things from a fabric retailer in which case I add them to the order
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 10:29:08 AM »
@Marniesews are you just pinning the pattern to the fabric or using something underneath.  I’d be inclined to lay tissue paper on the table, then fabric and then the pattern.  Cut through fabric and tissue and you should have no problem with accurate lines.  I use this method for difficult fabrics such as silk chiffon, georgette, anything that slips, slides and is likely to end up wonky otherwise.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 20:10:13 PM »
@Marniesews are you just pinning the pattern to the fabric or using something underneath.

I've not used tissue paper underneath although I did do that ages ago for georgette. I'd be needing a lot for all these mesh circle skirts though, more motivation to get to grips with the rotary cutter I think.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lollipop

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 20:12:53 PM »
Marnie, I bought something that I think is the same from a UK supplier and am very disappointed with it. It fits my cutting table like a dream but is so soft that my cutter blade sinks right into it, taking the fabric with it. If I apply less pressure like they recommend, it doesn't cut through the lycra. Expensive mistake at over £100. I think I would have been better with the normal cutting mats and some joining pieces. Wouldn't have covered completely but the green(or whatever colour is available) mats work really well. I suggest you ask for a small sample and try it out.
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 03:45:02 AM »
@Lollipop yes, that's the plan.

I appreciate what you are saying. I saw some similar looking material from a UK supplier but we thought from the way it folded over so easily that it looked very soft and was a bit surprised that it said it could just be cut to size with a utility knife.

We'll see how this compares.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Radiofan

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
I use wonder clips on the edges I just cut. This way I am free to move my relatively small mat underneath the pattern without things moving around too much. Don't forget the vulcan mind pinch while cutting.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.