The Sewing Place

Pattern envy...

Nevis5

Re: Pattern envy...
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 16:21:12 PM »
It is a beautiful, classic jacket.  I don't think you would regret it if you made it.  I have all Claire Shaeffer's books (I think, barring one about pockets) and she is approachable, thorough and talented. I have a couple of her patterns but haven't got round to making them up yet (surprised, much?). 

Good luck if you decide to go for it.  I'm another one who would love to see pictures xx

Efemera

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 18:00:51 PM »
@mammafairy ... someone is selling that pattern on FB £3.50 posted, I think it’s in the smaller sizes.

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 22:26:17 PM »
I made this a few years back. All hand stitched and steamed. Enjoyed making it but only wore it once and then I gave it away.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

crafter

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 01:34:09 AM »
Do it!  I would just for the experience.

The instructions include:

Learn the inside secrets of luxurious couture construction details, including:
• Hand-tailored collar & lapels
• Handsewn buttonholes
• Novelty pocket with pleats
• B: Bagged lining

Kwaaked

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 02:22:03 AM »
My problem with it is that it ends right at the largest part of my belly.  And an arrow pointing to the pooch is not a look I go for.

Morgan

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 19:35:08 PM »

In my view what appeals about this jacket is the fan fold detail on the pocket openings.  A tip - make sure your shell fabric is not too thick because of how the bulk builds up because of the way the fan detail is constructed.  In fact I suggest you make a sample of just that section and consider how you can simplify it to reduce any bulk.

This was the jacket I made using traditional tailoring techniques, which were much more straight forward than the unnecessarily complicated (in my view) instructions that come with the pattern.  I used only the shell pattern pieces and once all the fitting adjustments were made I created the pieces for the lining rather than waste time altering the pattern for the lining.  The lining pattern pieces are overcomplicated anyway.

Like Catlar I wore it once or twice and later sent it to the charity shop.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:05:53 AM by Morgan »

Margarita

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 20:46:35 PM »
I do like the looks of that jacket. I purchased the pattern when I thought I might need a jacket like that. No longer need a jacket like that.

Agree with Morgan that the attraction is the pocket detail. Also agree that Shaeffer makes the instructions overly complicated. I think all her patterns are like that.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
I recall somebody (was it Morgan?  not sure) on the old forum posted about this pattern (which I also have in the stash but haven't made).  IIRC the instructions were a bit odd in places and they expressed frustration at some elements of it.

I made tailored jackets in my youth but my lifestyle nowadays (WFH in slippers) doesn't demand power-dressing so there's not much motivation any more!

mammafairy

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 22:32:28 PM »
Ok, thanks all- I have bought the pattern on the basis, if I do not, I might regret it... Now I have to make it, don't I?

Just do not hold your breaths...

elisep

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
I agree that it's a beautiful pattern, I've got it and am halfway through a version in dusty pink linen.
The instructions for the fully-hand-tailored version are better than the machined version. I was following the machined version and found the instructions for the pocket/dart combo to be absolutely terrible. Switched to the hand tailored and worked it out.
Only problem is that By following one set of instructions, I've attached the facings to the jacket before attaching the lining to the facings (I did think it was strange at the time). But I don't like the order of instructions for finishing it this way so I need to work out how to switch to the other instructions.
I also made the mistake of fully interfacing the front with iron on interfacing. Terrible idea. If I make it again (and I have plans to, pending the fit and finish of this one) I wouldn't use iron on, I'd use something like silk organza or cotton poplin.
I've got a beautiful piece of pinstriped linen I'd like to make up in this, and would also love to make it up in a tweed or plaid type wool!

If I finish it I'll come back in here and update you all!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres