The Sewing Place

Can I shorten an separating zipper?

Nevis5

Re: Can I shorten an separating zipper?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 18:41:43 PM »
I've just finished making this little hoodie : https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/k3811#.XKZBIy-ZNfQ  for my new grandchild-to-be.  It calls for a longer zip than it needs so that you can incorporate it under the hood (it's sandwiched between the hood and the neck so it's not visible or scratchy.  Worked fine for me.  It was a 14 inch (I think) open ended zip which needed a couple of inches trimmed off (the top, be careful not to let the slider creep up to the top before cutting it) after it was sewn in. 

Otherwise I concur with @BrendaP , she knows of what she speaks :) x

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 19:31:03 PM »
A while ago I shortened a pair of fisherman's over trousers which had separating zips/open ended zips in the outside seams of both legs so that they could be got on and off over boots/waders.  The shortening was done from the bottom of the legs as was the zip.

Reading this back I realise that they weren't separating zips, just ordinary zips :o  :|

If you need to shorten a separating/open ended zip the process is the same though.  You have to position the end of the zip where one side connects to the other side in the required position on the garment (bottom edge of a jacket or wherever) and shorten the other end.  Make the new stops where they need to be and cut about an inch beyond there.  In many instances those cut ends will be hidden inside a collar band or a hood.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Radiofan

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 19:41:02 PM »
I use pliers to pull the teeth off leaving the tape intact. like this
Probably better for metal zips.

I was thinking of the plastic ones, where it is easier to just cut the teeth off. I did try pulling them off, but it would ruin the tape.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 21:23:33 PM »
I think you can make a zip any length, if you choose the right zip.  profabrics.co.uk do continuous zips and the fittings to customise their length - maybe worth investigating to see if they would do the job?  They are also very helpful if you call them, and if their zips are too chunky for your application they may be able to suggest an alternative for you.

Lizzy777

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 22:53:11 PM »
@sewingj

I've got a reply from Simplicity USA.

They have given me the name and address of a stockist but the problem is the stockist is in America too.
But I have looked at the site and they have every sort of zip imaginable. Lots of 7 inch separating zips on there
just need to trawl through. I think the price of the zips is very low just the shipping to contend with but surely it cant be that much for one 7 inch zip? I'll pm you the link.

Just waiting to hear back from the place not far from me. So hopefully will have that information back tomorrow.
I am going to email Simplicity again and ask if they are aware of any stockists in the UK?

In the meantime, I have now found this  a 7.87inch  (20cm) open-end zip in white
https://www.stoffstil.co.uk/sewing-accessories/zippers/ykk-zip-6mm-open-end-20cm-white

:)

lizzy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 00:34:14 AM by Lizzy777 »

sewingj

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 08:28:46 AM »
@sewingj

They have given me the name and address of a stockist but the problem is the stockist is in America too.
But I have looked at the site and they have every sort of zip imaginable. Lots of 7 inch separating zips on there
just need to trawl through. I think the price of the zips is very low just the shipping to contend with but surely it cant be that much for one 7 inch zip? I'll pm you the link.

Just waiting to hear back from the place not far from me. So hopefully will have that information back tomorrow.
I am going to email Simplicity again and ask if they are aware of any stockists in the UK?

In the meantime, I have now found this  a 7.87inch  (20cm) open-end zip in white
https://www.stoffstil.co.uk/sewing-accessories/zippers/ykk-zip-6mm-open-end-20cm-white

lizzy

@Lizzy777  - you really are a star!  (I just replied to your pm before reading this).  I`m sure the zip at stoffstil would be fine. Their shipping is quite expensive but I love their fabric so might order something else to make it worth it. Thanks so much

Lizzy777

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
@sewingj

Yvw :)

I never like to give up. I was sure I had looked at S&S a lot earlier but I couldn't find the zip but found it late last night.
It's good to know that we can get something in the UK i.e. 20cm instead of 18cm.

I've been having a browse on the site too. So many lovely fabrics but do I really need anymore at present? ;)

I don't like the idea of shortening such a small zip where it is meant for a small child garment. Especially when it is at the front of the garment. But that is just my preference and obviously if anyone can shorten the open-end zips for their own use then thats great too. Although it is easy to get hold of open-end zips here so long as they are over 18cm, I have found.

Will be lovely to see the finished garment.

lizzy

Holly Berry

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
I would use the 20cm zip and just increase the length of the jacket to accommodate it. Adding 2cm to the length will be negligible, even on a child’s jacket.

I’ve shortened an open ended zip, but done it from the top, as you need the bottom ends to slot together, so I shortened from the top, by removing the teeth and folded the cut end inside the the neck. You just end up with a longer piece of zip without teeth, so just cut off to 5/8th” or 1.5cm.
Procrastination get behind me

Helen M

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
@sewingj

lizzy

@Lizzy777  could you share the US company details? I think I've heard of them via another forum a few years ago and I thought I had the details saved but can't find them.

Thanks.

Interesting to hear about the zip manufacturer in Knutsford as I'm not far from there.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Lizzy777

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 13:49:11 PM »
@Helen M

Yes, of course I can that's no problem. I just contacted them via their web site here

https://www.simplicity.com

using their contact page here

https://www.simplicity.com/contactus/?topic=OTHER

And it's good to know that they do reply and reply quite quickly too. :)

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
@Helen M

Yes, of course I can that's no problem. I just contacted them via their web site here

https://www.simplicity.com

using their contact page here

https://www.simplicity.com/contactus/?topic=OTHER

And it's good to know that they do reply and reply quite quickly too. :)

lizzy

@Helen M

Just reading back on this thread and wonder if you wanted the site that Simplicity recommended in the USA?
Sorry if I misread your post. I'll post the details anyway.

www.stanssewingsupplies.com

...although when you do use that address, the website that comes up is this one.

https://www.zippershipper.com

Also, Simplicity haven't come back to me yet regarding a UK supplier and the other Company I approached in Knutsford hasn't replied yet!

lizzy

Lizzy777

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 08:45:15 AM »

I don't like the idea of shortening such a small zip where it is meant for a small child garment. Especially when it is at the front of the garment. But that is just my preference and obviously if anyone can shorten the open-end zips for their own use then thats great too. Although it is easy to get hold of open-end zips here so long as they are over 18cm, I have found.

lizzy

I was just revisiting this thread and realised on a previous post of mine, I may not have made clear that the above quoted comment referred to the shortening of a zip but it was never meant to refer to shortening of a zip from 20cm to 18cm, that is why I posted the details of the 20cm from S&S as that fine in this instance. It was the shortening of an open-end zip longer than that for a babies garment that I wouldn't recommend. Just making sure my previous post reads as I meant it to read  :)

Helen M

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
@Lizzy777 Thanks so much for the info. Zippershipper.com was was the company that I remembered from elsewhere, I've made a note of it again!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

sewingj

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
@Lizzy777   after all of your efforts to find me a zip I thought you might like to see the finished item.  The zip you found was fine - I just lengthened the jacket by 2 centimetres - he`s a tall baby anyway so that is not a problem
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lizzy777

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2019, 08:30:46 AM »

That's absolutely lovely @sewingj and so beautifully made too. It was a pleasure to find the zip for you and it looks so good with the jacket made up as well.

I love the fabric.

Thank you for putting a picture on the thread I really enjoyed seeing it made up.

lizzy  :)