The Sewing Place

Feeling silly about pins

Ohsewsimple

Re: Feeling silly about pins
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
When pinning patterns to fabric I pin at right angles to the pattern edge.  I find it holds the pattern better.  If pinning parallel I find the pattern can move a bit.  Of course, pinning velvet, silk etc needs to be done with care and only in the seam allowance.
I also never sew over pins.  That can be very dangerous.
I’m always asked what is correct way to do something and many of the students I’ve had  said they came to learn the 'correct way'.  I think it throws them when I say there is no right or wrong way just the way that feels right to them or is easiest or gets them the best results.  I think this stems from school needlework lessons when we were told exactly how to do something and there was no real reason it had to be done a specific way, apart from, 'that's the way it’s done'.   My college tutor and I had different ways of doing things.  Same result just different method.
Of course there are times when you have to adhere to certain rules, like placing the pattern on the correct grain line etc.

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 13:26:11 PM »
For patchwork @Lowena I pin at right angles to the edge, heads to the right so that I can whip the pins out as I reach them - I don't sew too fast but very occasionally hit a pin.  I always put the pin straight down into the fabric on the 1/4" line (by eye) so that the bit that needs be accurate is held together until the very last moment.  If I'm matching seams I pull the pin out partially as it goes under the foot but keep the point through both layers of fabric until the needle is just about to hit the spot.  It mostly works for me but I still have to unplck sometimes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
I'm the left handed daughter of a left handed, red headed man.  Being called a devil is nothing new.

As to pinning...meh.  Pin it how you like.  I quit using pins a while ago...even to cut out.  I bought weights for that.

I was told by my mother I would never sew well if I didn't do it her way.  For many years I quit.  Thing is...her way sucks.

I was told to sew slower.  Yeah, no.  I bought an industrial to go faster.  Speed.  SPEEEEEEED.
I was told to pin a certain way.  Nope, don't like pins.
I was told I ironed too much.  Yes, fine, but it looks good at the end.
I was told I had to use pinking shears.  I hate them, don't own them and won't use them.  Hey, silk shears work.
I was told I had to learn to unpick everything.  Really?  Can't I learn to do it right the first time and not have to take everything out when I do something?  (The answer is yes, yes I can.)
I was told I had to use a seam ripper.  Thanks, I prefer the razor.
I was told fabric consumption is important.  It is, but so is the grain line which hey, no one mentioned.

I have been told that fabric must match the back of the pattern envelope.  I was told I had to use the notions and findings on a pattern and couldn't change anything.  I was told I couldn't frankenpattern and come up with what I wanted.

I've been told orange doesn't go with navy, green or pink. 
I've been told...

Does it work?  Do you get a result you expect? 

Gee.  Lot of getting told what not to do and what isn't right for it to be sewn anyway, isn't it?

Morgan

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 15:03:48 PM »
Pinning - perpendicular to the seam line or edge or parallel to the edge or on a slant - depends on what you doing and why. 

How we pin, tack/baste, mark out, cut, sew, handle fabric etc. etc. etc. blah, blah - there are different methods for different reasons.
Do what works for your situation and what you are trying to do.

Best not to overthink things. 

Perhaps what is more important is to match the size of pins for the job in hand.  I do inwardly cringe when I see students working on fine lightweight dressmaking projects using whopping great big long and thick pins that are meant for  crafting or quilting.   Oh how they love the pretty pearly colours and the pretty shapes, sigh. 
Also I cringe when I see them pressing over plastic headed pins.  Inwardly I'm saying Glass head pins, Glass head pins, Glass head pins, as I get the iron cleaner out ready for them to remove the goo from the soleplate. 

That said, generally it's even more important for them to keep sewing and learn what works for them with the equipment and tools they have already. 
Bit by bit they pick up on how to solve problems, then work in a way to avoid the problem, and along the way discover different ways of doing things and all sorts of products, tools and gizmos. For my own sewing, I use pins only as and when I need to but I don't like them - always ripping my fingers on them and I hate, hate, hate that. 
When sewing I tend to sew without pins and when I do use them, I try to use as few as possible.Perpendicular to the seam line or edge or parallel to the edge - depends on what you doing and why.

[Edited to remove all the stray font and size tags - Acorn]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 16:03:25 PM by Acorn »

Catllar

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 15:45:20 PM »
When and if I pin then it's usually across the seam line unless I've pinned to overlock a seam ( rarely do I pin) then I'll put them in parallel to the seam - reduces the chances of going over the pin with the cutter and knackering everything.  Works for me, mostly!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:06 AM »
I can't be the only one who occasionally pins at 45° surely? I like to pin at 90° whenever I'm sewing stretch fabrics but if I'm doing a neck or armscye binding I like to pin diagonally for the best of both worlds: I can get closer to the pin than if I do it parallel and it gets a bigger and firmer bite of the narrow binding strip than at 90°.

The right answer must be whichever way works best for you but it must help if you've tried them all to make an informed choice I suppose.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ploshkin

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »
I go 45° or perpendicular to the straight edge and always 45° into the corners.

I always rebelled at school (only with sewing) and if Sister Joseph told me how to do something I would find a different way.  She taught me to pin at 90° rather than parallel to a straight edge so I did 45° just to wind her up.  I'm sure she's looking down, smiling from her cloud when I do things her way now.
Life's too short for ironing.