The Sewing Place

Quilt Borders

Acorn

Re: Quilt Borders
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 19:12:26 PM »
Having just done extensive research into flanged bindings (ie I googled and skim read two tutorials) I really like that effect.  I think I'm settled on the 1-1-3 border setup for this one, but I will definitely be flanging in the future.

I've never done anything other than a simple binding or single border/binding before, like this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

or this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

Re: Quilt Borders
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 20:28:04 PM »
I think I'd go with the first picture - 2" navy, 1" coloured then 3-4" navy (the navy is too wide in the pic) and then use all those cut pieces of coloured fabric to make a coloured binding.  The navy is quite strong and a coloured edge will finish it off nicely.

Whilst a lot instructions tell you to cut binding 2.5" wide I very often cut mine to 2" which is wide enough for a double binding.  So, you could cut all the 4.5" pieces in half and end up with 2.25" wide binding.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.