The Sewing Place

Sewing For Dolls

Ann

Re: Sewing For Dolls
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
@Fabric Lover, I love this doll. Her name is Kit and she is from the 1930's. Her short hair and freckles were what attracted me to her about 5 years ago. I got her this past December.

I do like this dress on her also.
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 50 metres
So far: 20.7 meters

Ann

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 10:58:44 AM »
I finished a doll's coat and tam. It is another test pattern by a lady who lives in Nova Scotia. I do love her patterns. The era is 1927.

I spent 4 days on this outfit. The coat if fully lined and I used a light weight wool. Lots of hand basting on to make sure it went together properly.

Nellie is happy to model it as our weather is cold and windy. I finished knitting  a cream colored scarf for it late last night. Now to knit the mitts.
Stash Busting 2020

Acorn

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 12:44:31 PM »
I really want to be one of your dolls!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sara-S

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 14:10:17 PM »
I’d wear that coat if it came in my size. Nice work!
  • Ann likes this
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Kenora

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 17:48:01 PM »
Beautiful work!  <3
  • Ann likes this
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

WendyW

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 19:28:31 PM »
Beautiful coat! But how on earth does one knit doll size mittens??
  • Ann likes this

Ann

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2020, 08:03:59 AM »
@Acorn, @Sara-S, @Kenora, and @WendyW, thank you for the kind words on the coat. I'd love a coat like it also.

@WendyW, knitting mittens for a doll is fiddly as they are so tiny. I use fine yarn and 2 mm needles. I'll probably start them next week as I'm knitting a sweater for the dolls right now. I'm using up left over yarn from other projects (mittens included).
Stash Busting 2020

Ann

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2020, 20:28:18 PM »
The mittens haven't been knit yet. I got two patterns to test so they became the priority.

I did make a dress for the dolls during sewing time. I was going to test the pattern but it got published before I had a chance to cut it out. Here it is.

And the surprise is a bow in the back.

Stash Busting 2020

Ann

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
I finished another doll's pattern (tested it). It was a fun and cute pattern to do. Kit is wearing it as it is from the 1930's and her era.

I did buttonholes in the back. I am going to do more of these as I have figured out how to do them nicely using tear away stabilizer. I have scraps of it in the sewing room.

I didn't use the bow that was in the pattern but used organza ribbon instead.

Stash Busting 2020

Ann

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2020, 20:58:39 PM »
And the Bib Front Regency dress is done. It was a lot of work but I took it one step at a time.

The fabric frayed a lot so I had to handle it carefully. But I do love the pattern.
Stash Busting 2020

sewingj

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2020, 21:09:00 PM »
I never thought I'd be interested in clothes for dolls until I saw your work Ann!  How on earth did you do those buttonholes?

Tamnymore

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2020, 21:10:20 PM »
Lovely and lovely dolls too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ann

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 09:23:09 AM »
Thank you @sewingj  and @Tamnymore for the kind words on the doll clothes.

The buttonhole saga began when I wanted to do more of them on doll clothes. I interfaced the buttonhole area and did 6 practice buttonholes. They were okay. I then decided to try tear away stabilizer as I have a lot of scraps as I do machine embroidery. I put it on the back of the fabric and the next few trials were perfect. You could use coffee filters instead of tear away stabilizer. I always do a few practice buttonholes before I do the actual ones. That way I get the right size buttonhole for the buttons.

Next up is invisible zippers in doll dresses. That won't happen until the fabric stores reopen. I have very few zippers on hand. If the stores don't reopen by April 1, I'm going to have to break down and order online.
Stash Busting 2020