The Sewing Place

Thursday, 4th July

Ellabella

Re: Thursday, 4th July
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 23:11:19 PM »
My DH has several tats, some of them self done, he hates them and has done for years.

Neither of my two have then as far as I know and if they do they have enough respect for their father to keep them covered.

I know lots of people love their body art, I feel that whilst I can see they look good now, years down the line when they are blurred and wrinkled a lot of people are going to regret having them done.
Stash reductions 2019 31m
Stash additions 2019 55m

Sandra

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
I think I'm more disappointed by how very visible it is...for ever and ever  :( ...and he's still so young.

Sandra.
xxx

Francesca

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 14:19:02 PM »
I have two and love them both. Care can go a long way to keeping them fresh, and often they do need touch-ups after a few years. I always wear factor 50 suncream on my arm one even in winter which helps massively.

I do think it's funny that's it's considered "spoiling" one's body. So is ear piercing and hair dyeing but no one has a problem with girls getting their ears pierced. You "spoil" your body more having a baby but nobody seems to mind that.
Stash Busting 2019
Sewn: 36.4m
Traded: 45.9m
Added: 35.4m
Up/down: -46.95m down

Follow me on Instagram

Acorn

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2019, 15:00:21 PM »
I've never heard of anyone having a baby because it would spoil their body!!  It's a generally unavoidable side effect of something that most people do consider to be worth the possible damage.

Some decades ago piercing ears was considered to be damaging the body by a lot of people, but, of course, ear piercing is almost reversible, and hair dyeing is completely reversible.  That's the thing I can't understand about tattoos - I could never decide that I wanted a certain image on my body for the rest of my life.

And, of course, some employers will still discriminate against job applicants with tattoos, although I am sure that is not as much of an issue as it once was.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2019, 16:33:29 PM »
I've never heard of anyone having a baby because it would spoil their body!!

But that's only because you believe that having a tattoo is spoiling ones body. I've never heard of anyone having a tattoo because it would spoil their body either.

And, of course, some employers will still discriminate against job applicants with tattoos

That was sort of my point with the baby comment. Having a baby can make getting work harder too. And it's a lot harder to hide a baby than it is a tattoo.

We're approaching the point where more people will have tattoos in this country than not. It's not going away, and it will be a normal part of a culture eventually (if it isn't already). I love my tattoos. I think they look great. I've never once regretted the images I chose and I'm sure I'll go on to love them forever (and if I get to 80 and the biggest regret I have is a tattoo well then I must've done pretty well at life!)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 16:35:03 PM by Francesca »
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Acorn

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2019, 17:07:56 PM »
You chopped off the end of that second quote, which was rather pertinent to what you were saying.
And, of course, some employers will still discriminate against job applicants with tattoos, although I am sure that is not as much of an issue as it once was.

I also never said that I thought a tattoo spoilt a body.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2019, 17:17:40 PM »
I have always hated the idea of having holes punched into one's body or anything else that is irreversible. Pierced ears are not for me and I made my daughter wait until she was 15 before letting her have hers done. I don't think it compares with having a baby at all - I don't think the effect on one's body is uppermost in anyone's mind when putting that into effect at all!

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2019, 17:42:54 PM »
Perhaps it should be a consideration. My colleague's abdomen is split right down the middle after her baby. Might make some think twice  :S
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

sewingj

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 17:52:50 PM »
Don't do what my son did - got a tattoo of his wife's name - then split up

Lowena

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2019, 19:31:43 PM »
Their body, their choice
I have dyed hair ( and have had since aged 14 ) pierced ears, and am still contemplating having a tattoo ( at my advanced age )
No 2 son has a pierced nipple..... done when drunk as a teenager .... I think it's hilarious  :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 19:33:50 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2019, 20:02:46 PM »
Their body, their choice
I have dyed hair ( and have had since aged 14 ) pierced ears, and am still contemplating having a tattoo ( at my advanced age )
No 2 son has a pierced nipple..... done when drunk as a teenager .... I think it's hilarious  :D

My boyfriend's grandma got her tattoo at 71. She completed the Camino de Santiago (pilgrimage walk in Spain) and got a tattoo to commemorate it.

My cousin has a rubber duck tattooed on one arse cheek which I think is hilarious too. My best friend made a drunken pact with a friend from our teenage years to get eachother's names tattooed on themselves. She went off to Thailand, got drunk, and got "James" tattooed on her ankle in Thai (supposedly). When she came back and showed him he burst out laughing and said he would never ever get her name tattooed on him. I wonder what her husband thinks now she's got another man's name tattooed on her. I think it's hilarious. It probably says "drunk foreigner".
Stash Busting 2019

Follow me on Instagram

Greybird

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2019, 23:00:08 PM »
We have friends, now approaching 80 years old, and he has the name of an ex-girlfriend tattooed on his arm. It isn't his wife's name. It has lost almost every argument for him throughout their married life.