The Sewing Place

Saturday 20th July

Stitches

Saturday 20th July
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:25:03 AM »
Good morning, fine this morning after all the rain last night. Sewing group this afternoon got a new member coming  :ninja: .
sewing in sunny Norfolk

Nevis5

Re: Saturday 20th July
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »
Good morning!  Cool and damp here. Rained quite a lot in the night I think.  Hoping the forecast for sunnier days ahead is correct.

I went to a 25th anniversary party last night but left quite early feeling very grouchy as it was in a smallish room and the band they'd booked, although really good, was SO LOUD.  I couldn't hear myself think, let alone talk to anyone and as it was so cold and wet out there was no escape.  I'd been quite looking forward to meeting new people and having a nice evening so was disappointed.

No news yet on the imminent arrival of grandchild.  I was really hoping it would happen either yesterday or today as otherwise the mother has been threatened with induction tomorrow which isn't fun for anyone really.  She's getting herself into a terrible state over it which can't be doing the baby or her much good.  Am quite anxious really.  Not that I can do anything.  I also got politely asked not to keep asking how she was yesterday so am now in a twilight zone. 

Have a great Saturday everyone.  I'm going to sew, cut out a couple of dresses yesterday along with some baby clothes so am keeping my mind busy.

xx

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
Off to an adult birthday party this afternoon....I don’t know about others but I’m not keen on large social gatherings.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »
I really don't understand why they have to turn the music up so loud at those functions. :angry: :(, really bad for everyone's ears.

It's raining quite hard here and there was quite a bit of thunder earlier on.  Nothing special planned and the garden and the farmers need the rain.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
Nor do I, @BrendaP , especially as the party was 90% Old Bats like me who don't really do a lot of dancing these days.  Everyone was (I think) humming along with the old hits but we could have done that as well as have a conversation if only they'd turned the volume down a bit.  Grouch, grouch.  Oh well.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »
Cloudy and a bit windy, but it's dry. We didn't get the terrible weather we'd been promised yesterday although it did rain a bit...no thunderstorms though.

I think today's the day I get on with finishing the wedding dress I've loathed having here...the one that's made me wake in the night feeling worried.
That one.  -< ><

It just needs to be finished off as it is, but I'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time re-attaching lace motifs and beading.

I had an unexpected phone call yesterday from someone I sort-of know, asking if she could bring her wedding dress and three? bridesmaids dresses for alterations.  :(

I said no...

And funnily enough, I felt absolute relief afterwards that I won't have the worry of another bridal order.
I just can't do it.
My daughter congratulated me that I managed to turn the job away.  0_0
I'm sort-of, nervously looking for a real job. I feel that I need to change what I'm doing. I'm not happy and haven't been for months. Probably since before Christmas.

Righty-ho then...better wash my hands to make sure they're nice and clean and I'll make a start.

Sandra.
xxx

hernibs

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 10:46:29 AM »
Good for you saying no - and it's even better that you feel you've done the right thing.....get out and get yourself the job outside of home if at all possible.  I'm too old to do that so I'll plod on......

Morning all - dullish here - a little sun now and again, rain in the night.  Today I have to make an apple tart - going to son tomorrow for lunch and apple tart will be desert.  Pastry made last night and is now out of the fridge to come back to workable state.  Hope you all have a lovely day, or as lovely as possible.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:49:31 AM by hernibs »

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
@Sandra well done! That's the first step to taking control of your working life. Do you have any ideas what you'd like to do? If you haven't already, I suggest doing a skills audit. In my last post before I retired I worked with older people who needed (didn't always want to)! return to work. One thing they all had in common was lacking confidence to apply for jobs, feeling they didn't have the skills that employers would want. The first thing we did was skills audit, because there are many saleable skills which are accumulated with age, being a parent, being self-employed etc etc which people don't realise they have. I'm happy to chat in a pm if you'd like.
Mary
2019 stash used so far: about 10m stash added:5m

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
Not been around as I've not been feeling great and I have been very busy.
I'm going to a local sewing group this afternoon, run by someone you all know  ;) :thread:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 16:01:47 PM »
This has to be the day I tidy my sewing room.  Somehow I have managed to lose a 50m reel of 'knicker' elastic - the old fashioned flat, 5 strand sort.  It isn't as though it isn't big enough.

maliw

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 16:42:22 PM »
Good afternoon, a bit late  in the day but that's because we are just back from a week in Scotland. I've been able to dip in a bit here while we were away but didn't want to abuse the use of wi-fi where we were staying and phone is only PAYG and it overheated at the beginning of the week anyway so was useless. (Had laptop with me). Paid a visit to the Fabric shop in Melrose, what a lovely little shop with an equally lovely lady owner, two fat quarters purchased for what I don't know, I just liked the fabric!!!! :) The labyrinthitis is still with me but not as bad so hopefully will be back to normal before too long and finish off the blazer/jacket I started a few weeks ago. Nice to be back.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 16:46:29 PM »
Had a really good afternoon at the sewing group in the next village. It's run by @Stitches and was both good fun and productive. I shall be going every month  :) I might even invest in a small cheap machine to take with me...... Most unlike me  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

hernibs

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 16:59:28 PM »
Good afternoon, a bit late  in the day but that's because we are just back from a week in Scotland. I've been able to dip in a bit here while we were away but didn't want to abuse the use of wi-fi where we were staying and phone is only PAYG and it overheated at the beginning of the week anyway so was useless. (Had laptop with me). Paid a visit to the Fabric shop in Melrose, what a lovely little shop with an equally lovely lady owner, two fat quarters purchased for what I don't know, I just liked the fabric!!!! :) The labyrinthitis is still with me but not as bad so hopefully will be back to normal before too long and finish off the blazer/jacket I started a few weeks ago. Nice to be back.

Hmmmm - I won't be far from Melrose - hope to get to that shop - not that I need fabric.....

hernibs

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 17:00:14 PM »
Had a really good afternoon at the sewing group in the next village. It's run by @Stitches and was both good fun and productive. I shall be going every month  :) I might even invest in a small cheap machine to take with me...... Most unlike me  :D

So glad you've got Stitches and her sewing group - you sound more upbeat than this morning!

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 18:16:07 PM »
Took delivery of a pair of Doc Martens skulls and roses Chelsea boots today.  :D :D

The leather is so hard and the elastic sides so stiff that I'd need three footmen to get them on and off so back they go.  :'( :'(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde