The Sewing Place

New to overlocker, can't see where I'm sewing

HenriettaMaria

Re: New to overlocker, can't see where I'm sewing
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
This is a good book too - made sense of a lot of the weirdness that an overlocker brings to your life!

https://www.bookdepository.com/COMPLETE-SERGER-HANDBOOK-Chris-James/9780806998077?ref=grid-view&qid=1572784531581&sr=1-1

pip

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 03:35:32 AM »
"@pip I bought a second hand overlocker a few months ago and ended up joining the forum to see if I could get any help with it. Poor Ploshkin, who is my sister but lives over 150 miles away, gave me lots of email help trying to work out what I was doing wrong when it wouldn't work! I got the hang of it but what helped me tremendously was to go on a day workshop that I found out about."

It would be great to have a workshop around here. Whenever I find one I'll be there in a shot!
(Haven't got the hang of quoting yet)

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 10:07:16 AM »
@pip , tbh, I think you really just need to put the hours in to get rid of the fear.  I remember getting my first O/L years and years ago (pre-Google :)) and it seemed an impossible task.

Gradually though, I became more daring, and found ways of using the machine which suited me best.  The manual too, shouldn't be ignored, it's full of helpful info (assuming it's a good translation!)

Good luck, look forward to seeing your progress.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
One of the best things you can do to get to know your overlocker - regardless of the make - is to download  the Sewing Mastery booklet which was for Bernina overlockers but do not be put off by this, have a look back on TSP for the link to this which was posted by Morgan, you can then steadily work through the various pages attaching your sewn samples and that should help you both with understanding and sewing with an overlocker - good luck.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 13:13:03 PM »
When I got my overlocker a few years ago, I didn't know they were scary, so I just turned it on, threaded it up and made a few jersey tops and wondered why on earth I didn't get one sooner  0_0

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 17:29:20 PM »
Must admit I wasn't scared of mine either. It was 30 years ago though and there was no internet to make you feel that you had to be perfect with every new 'toy' the moment you got it out of the box or that you should be scared of them!

I mainly used it for hems of garments I had to shorten back then. Being only 5'1" that usually meant everything I bought and having to cut the fabric. I used a lot of old sheets cut into strips to practice the different settings and I found the process quite therapeutic!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 47

pip

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 11:25:27 AM »
Thanks for all the help! I'm starting to get the hang of it. Haven't had any more 'incidents' with cutting off too much

Greybird

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »
When I first had mine I got a couple of bath towels from the charity shop and used the overlocker to cut/edge them into face cloth sized squares. I curved the corners which gave me practice in manoeuvering the fabric. I ended up with a nice pile of cleaning cloths for the batchroom, kitcen etc.

Lachica

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 15:27:38 PM »
I'm the same as @Bodgeitandscarper. Don't read too much, just play!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.