The Sewing Place

Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?

talamasca

Re: Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2017, 19:21:30 PM »
Hi, I've not shortened anything.  I had to remove 1/4" or so from bodice but that was within the seam allowance.

I'm going to re-pin bottom part tomorrow and make sure everything is centred.

I found lining up the corner with the seam difficult and now I understand why Lyn said to leave 5/8th at top edge

Tamnymore

« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2017, 20:06:10 PM »
I'm sure you realise this but the 4 sections that make up the lower skirt comprise 2 sbort and 2 long. You join them long, short, long, short to make a rectangle. The shorter pieces fit across the front and back of the dress repectively. The longer pieces fit along the two sides. Each point at the bottom of the upper skirt joins to where there is a seam in the lower skirt. Is there any way you could have mixed something up here?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2017, 20:33:58 PM »
the corners are the only tricky bit in the whole thing, and that's mainly because the instructions make them so.
get it lined up as I said, and then sew, bottom section on top, from the'midpoint' of the corner [I put pen dots to help] straight across one edge to the next corner. 
Fasten off thread, rearrange the fabric, and do the next side.  Sew all four as separate seams, instead of trying to turn the corner.
Then sort of adjust any excess at those corners , effectively making darts or tucks along those seams.  Cut away any leftovers.  The shape will not be harmed. 
How do I know?  Because I buggered it up on the first one, and had to faff about.  This is the best way!
C'est moi!

Lyn-J

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2017, 22:03:53 PM »
Just catching up with this thread! so tired I can't think straight, will re-read in the morning  :[
(I think there has been some good advice here)

talamasca

« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
Thank you everyone for all of your help. I couldn't have made/nearly made this dress with it :loveit:

OK....I think I've got it.....

Pic 1 - lined up and pinned front bottom panel with front top

Pic 2 - start sewing from green pin all the way across to same spot on opposite corner?

Pic 3 - as pic 2 but folded up to show bottom panel seam

talamasca

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2017, 13:04:05 PM »
WOOHOO I did it!   :D  :D :D

Those corner bits were a pain but I've only got a little crease which is hardly visible.

I've learnt so much,  in particular to read instructions properly and check if I'm not sure (I topstitched neckline and armholes!).  Always triple check I've pinned things correctly!!!!

It's in the wash now ready for wearing when I go out on Sunday  :D

Acorn

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2017, 13:21:15 PM »
That looks wonderful - very classy!   0_0

Well done!  :flower: :flower: :flower:  :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2017, 13:36:04 PM »
That is a gorgeous dress, I love the colour, very elegant!  Have a lovely day wearing it - hope the sun shines for you  :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2017, 15:25:56 PM »
Yes you've cracked it, Talamasca. Well done! That's exactly how it should look. You will enjoy wearing it and getting lots of nice comments

Now then, time to make another one? Sleeves this time? I have 5 versions of this dress!  :devil:

Lyn-J

« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2017, 17:47:24 PM »
Fantastic job¬ Well done! I sure you will love wearing it  <3
What's next?

talamasca

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2017, 17:16:14 PM »
Not had chance to wear it yet! I've just started crochetting a shrug to wear with it.

I've a few sewing projects to do so no dressmaking just yet but when I do I'll either make another Vogue dress or try the Burda 6549 dress A.....but it's got pleats and things  :S

Tamnymore

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2017, 18:19:51 PM »
It doesn't look difficult. Those are either tiny pleats or gathers at the bust -either way they will be easy. I think the main thing with this dress will be putting in the zip and getting a good fit  but you've been in training !

talamasca

« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2017, 14:32:59 PM »
Yeah I'm looking forward to making that dress...even with pleats lol.

I wore the vogue dress with my crochetted cardie this weekend. I do think the bodice would benefit from pleats or something to give a better fit/shape.

I'd quite like to make a cropped three quarter sleeve jacket in the linen.....been looking for something plain with a wide neck but not come a cross a pattern yet

DementedFairy

« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2017, 14:38:27 PM »

Well done!

I do think the bodice would benefit from pleats or something to give a better fit/shape.

Yep that's why I recommend making the waist a closer fit, by using elastic inserted between the two layers, and stitched into a channel.  It works particularly well with the jersey bodice.  If you can pull it on over your head OK, no zip needed, and it helps support the weight of all that skirt fabric too.
A more 'couture' fix would be to add an inner waiststay, and maybe do some darts, but that's a lot more work!
C'est moi!

Lyn-J

« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2017, 14:49:26 PM »
That looks superb!
The cardie sets it off very well too, well done!