The Sewing Place

Thursday 16th January

Efemera

Re: Thursday 16th January
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Having a PJ day today...coming down with a cold, may do a little sewing on the Christmas quilt.

Celia

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
Good morning all, still not nearer sorting out a new cooker it is so difficult to find a 600 width electric cooker, I am looking for one with an induction hob, if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear.  I have found what I would like but only in a 900 width and that means reshuffling the hole kitchen and prolly wouldn’t work anyway.

Still no sewing but a bit of knitting has taken place 

Ellabella

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Making a cat bed :S

twopence

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 10:32:09 AM »
I stayed in bed with my book this morning.  It’s bright here for the moment so I’m going to cycle over to the hotel for a quick meeting with the events lady about OH’s surprise birthday party.

I’d better do something towards the charities reconciliation when I get back and then I can carry on with the baby quilt after lunch.  Ready to add a very narrow border and then layer it and quilt.  Need to take some pictures to post.

Skyping DS this evening.

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
@Celia I've just had a quick look on the John Lewis website at cookers and using filters for "induction hob" and "60cm" returns 16 options (though some are out of stock).

Greybird

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 10:35:38 AM »
Started sunny here but now it's raining again. Very happy, my brother is coming on Sunday and we will have chance to go away for a couple of days. Don't care where really - just away will be lovely!

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »
that'll be 4 1/2"  then

Yes. That seems the most likely answer. I'll let you know, but remember...there's nowt so queer as folk.  ><
I get asked to do all sorts of strange things.

Sandra.
xxx

My initial thought was 4 1/2 inches but it could be that she wants to wear it as a top with leggings.  I did that sort of alteration for DD once, so I think you are right to double check.

Nothing much weatherwise here, maybe i bit breezy still.  Off to Rochester later on to look for quilt binding fabrics.  I wonder what other "essentials" I'll find.  :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Silver Rose

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
@Ellabella  my dear late Cosmo  :meow: loved the beds I made for him. A useful way to use up leftover jersey fabric pieces.
Just had a call from GP surgery, all the blood test results that are in are OK, the inflammatory marker ones for Psioratic arthrtis will take longer and the GP wants to see me on Monday about the x-ray results so at last a bit of progress, now I've got to work on my stress levels :S easier said than done. Time to start on the cape maybe.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
@StitchinTime thank you for looking, These are the ones I have been looking at, when I checked several of them are the same cooker just different badges so it slimes the choice a bit, I am hopping someone may have one they can recommend.

Helen M

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
Feel a bit fragile this morning, as we did a day trip to Newcastle yesterday for an airline reunion. Great to see people I'd not seen in 20+ years including pilots who were not as young as they were!

It's getting darker by the minute here.  :(
Stash Busting 2020
Goal: 35 metres
So far: 3 metres

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »
Gloomy again here.  And we're expecting rain, yay!   Must be all of 12 hours since the last lot. 
Housework this morning, coffee break now.  Then I’m off to meet up with a couple of ex work colleagues at a cafe.  Evidently they have lots of news.  Mmmm, I’m intrigued.
DH is at bowls this evening so late dinner and time to do my own thing.
Have a good day all. 

Missie

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 13:26:43 PM »
Well today, first thing I had a text from DS1 re procedure he had seen performed on a calf (he's working on a cattle ranch in Queensland).  I wont go into detail but it wasn't pleasant (no pics thank goodness).  I asked what would happen to the poor wee thing and was told either bleed out or survive  -<  Just what you want first thing in the morning!!!!!
A measly 2.5m of stash used so far!

Ploshkin

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 13:42:09 PM »
Good afternoon.  It's dark, wet and extremely windy (again) here.  I have managed to move away from the kitchen worktop for the first time since 9.30am.  I've made some cakes and biscuits for our beekeeping association AGM this evening and cut and minced up several pounds of liver, heart and pork to make faggots (autocorrect calls them maggots).  I probably should have worn ear defenders as the big mincer is noisy and my ears are now ringing.  My faggot mixture is resting in the fridge for an hour so I can have a cup of tea.  It's a bit frustrating because I've got a top cut out ready to sew and I'm just not getting a chance to sew.  I daresay it will get done some time.
Have a good rest of the day.
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 14:36:38 PM »
Celia Oh I know your frustration at finding a cooker.   We too had difficulties finding a decent cooker, and I was so shocked at both the appearance/functions of most of the electric cookers even in John Lewis they were awful and the majority were around the £200-400 and had controls on the front that looked chunky and horrible.  Then there was nothing until the £1,000 mark and that was an AEG 49002VMN and it is brilliant.  Sadly though it is not an induction hob, but worth contacting John Lewis and asking if they do this with an induction hob.  Instead mine has touch and slide controls and even I am struggling to understand what I have touched to set it off beeping.  I have two dual or multi sized  rings - one has three settings, and then one small ring and one large ring.  I have lights in both the ovens and also a grill in both ovens.  On Christmas Day my daughter took charge in my kitchen - not only did she want to play with the cooker, but we unexpectedly had two extra people staying for Christmas Lunch.  It had got to the stage of trying to keep everything hot whilst other items were still cooking - so both my daughter and my son's partner stood at the controls trying to work out how to have both ovens on - one for cooking and the smaller oven to keep plates and dishes warm and also any food that was already cooked but we didn't want to overcook.  By the way my hob is so easy to clean and it always looks nice.  I have settings in the ovens that I have not used, let alone know what they are and despite the huge difference in price between the cooker I chose and the cheaper horrible ones I am so far really pleased with this.  The width of the cooker is just about 600cm and is a slot in one.  By the way an unusual feature of this cooker is that it has to be chained to the wall - John Lewis team did this on installation, and in theory this never has to be pulled out for anyone to get to it, any work needing to be done is all done from the front.  I also had to have my cooker hood door shortened as it was apparently too close to the hob but it all depends on the wall cupboards and how they were fixed to the wall, if mine had been higher there would have been no problem.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 14:41:49 PM »
Good afternoon I bought a bag of carrots today forgetting that I'd got some last week so I've made four carrot cakes with the intention of putting two in the freezer. Just waiting for them to cool so's I can 'ice' them  :)