The Sewing Place

Block of the Month - May - Twist and Twirl

Ploshkin

Re: Block of the Month - May
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
The weather's been too good but some wet days forecast and the fabric is sitting there waiting.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2017, 13:06:48 PM »
Haven't got back into sewing since last weeks visitor mojo gone walkabout.

L :vintage:

Sandra

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »
I've made a few strips of the May block... more as an experiment to test colours and patterns to see which might work best. I don't want to make a full quilt at the mo.

It's a lovely block but it's soooo difficult to choose the right fabrics to get the best effect. I think this works ok...I'm quite happy with this.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2017, 13:14:25 PM »
I think those work really well Sandra.  The first thing I saw was a twisted ribbon.   It's one of those things that a b & w image or looking through one of those red things would confirm if you were unsure.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sandra

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2017, 13:26:36 PM »
Thank you, Ploshkin.

I always find it difficult to decide on the 'right' fabrics to use, and this one seemed more difficult than usual due to wanting to make sure the twist worked properly.

I really like this one.
Iminei's are lovely but I especially love how she used the fabrics in the colourful one she made.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2017, 14:05:49 PM »
That is truly splendiferous Sandra...

Works fabulously!!!

Off into the BOM HOF you go

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Cheesecake

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2017, 16:06:53 PM »
Here is mine, started it last weekend but been busy so glad to find a little time to finish it today.

Pearl

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2017, 17:56:43 PM »
Good job, Sandra and Cheesecake.   0_0

Iminei

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2017, 18:19:24 PM »
Wonderful....

Off you pop Cheesecake, into the BOM HOF

supergran

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2017, 19:30:33 PM »
I agree Sandra, picking the right fabrics is the hardest part of this block. You did a great job with yours though, it looks perfect.

Vegegrow

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 20:59:25 PM »
Not my most successful block... ran out of fabric  so made 3 different colour ways which I will hopefully make into a cushion ... all left overs from my recent quilts ... only had time to make them because I ran out of curtain lining for a customer order .. promise to try harder next month ... 2 weddings and a  couple of curtain orders allowing.. ><
 these are the first ones

attached photo.. hope it turns up the right way round
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 21:38:08 PM »
It looks lovely to me Veg! Are you making the actual Wedding dresses?

L :vintage:

Vegegrow

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 22:10:09 PM »
No Lanty.. not these ones.. My nephew is marrying in early July .. have to alter the wedding dress and make dresses for My Mum .. done.. my daughter and myself ... pending.. and them I'm off to an indian wedding which I have posted about previously so pre wedding party evening dress .. Indian ceremony and wedding outfits for me my Mum and my sister.. I'm going to have to sort out a thread for all these...gulp  ><
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lantana

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 22:36:43 PM »
No Lanty.. not these ones.. My nephew is marrying in early July .. have to alter the wedding dress and make dresses for My Mum .. done.. my daughter and myself ... pending.. and them I'm off to an indian wedding which I have posted about previously so pre wedding party evening dress .. Indian ceremony and wedding outfits for me my Mum and my sister.. I'm going to have to sort out a thread for all these...gulp  ><

Quilting is going to have to take a back seat then! Looking forward to seeing your creations from the light side so to speak. I read through some of the posts on the wearabes threads  and I'm still in awe of you clever people. I like looking at the clothes other peope make but I'm very much a cord trousers knitted jumper sort of person. Feel uncomfortable in other stuff and wouldn't have a clue how to make something that suited me. Those discussions that you have on why a pattern doesn't work fascinate me. Ususally I've thought it's ok lol

Lanty  :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »
Thank you Vege, very, very nice

and into the BOM HOF you go.....