The Sewing Place

Pauline Alice Quart Coat

UttaRetch

Re: Pauline Alice Quart Coat
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
I'll be referring to my copy of the Singer tailoring book when the time comes for my next coat.  Incidentally, I unwittingly have two of these since it was published by another company with a different cover.  :facepalm:
What goes around comes around.

b15erk

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
I wonder if it's the same book @UttaRetch ?  I got mine from Amazon, from a recommendation by Sigrid.  It's published by McCalls, but no particular author.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lovely clear pictures, and saves me having to stop work to locate a technique via Google!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2020, 10:41:51 AM »
I've made coats that I think are great and perfectly wearable, and I'd never even heard of things like pad stitching til I read it here and I still don't really know what it is, but do know it'll be far too much faff for me  0_0

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2020, 13:19:14 PM »
Yes that’s the same book.  It went out of print for a while and was fetching huge prices.  Nice clear photos and very useful.  I’m know  there are other, far more complicated books out there but for the average person I think this one is really good.   

b15erk

« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
No sewing on Saturday as we had to return the doggies to DD, but it left Sunday free, and I managed a good few hours in the sewing room, where I felt that a lot of progress was made.

Coat and lining construction is now just waiting for the sleeves to be put in, and the collar added.

Sleeves, I'm a bit concerned about as they seem very long, and very wide.  So, before I go any further, I'll have to check them against another coat I wear regularly.  I'm also unsure of the lining.  When I've made previous lined projects, I've always cut the sleeve lining shorter, but this is the same length.  I think it may be because the sleeves have zips on, which I'm not doing, so I may need to adjust.  I'll be checking the width as well.

The collar seems straightforward, so maybe this week will see the coat finished. 

I do need to look for buttons though, I thought I had some, but they look too purple.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Still no further on with this, I've been a bit tired and stressed.

However, work hasn't entirely stopped, I ordered buttons, which I hope will look as nice when I receive them, as they did in the photograph!  I've also just taken delivery of 5 plastic boot boxes (thanks @Elnnina ), to hold my larger projects.

Hopefully I'll feel something like, when I finish work, and can spend a few minutes basting the collar on.

Jessie