The Sewing Place

New chap settling in.

BrendaP

Re: New chap settling in.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 22:24:23 PM »
Hello @TangledBloke welcome to TSP.

There's a chart at https://stonemountainfabric.com/what-gsm-means-and-how-to-use-it/ which gives you a rough idea of typical GSM for different fabrics.

It can only be aproximate because the tightness/loosness of the spun fibres which make up and fabric varies, the closeness or openness of the weave/knit also varied; both will affect the GSM.  Also natural fibres have a lower density than synthetic fibres so a cotton fabric will have a slightly lower GSM than a polyester fabric of the same thickness/construction.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

TangledBloke

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 22:57:17 PM »
I find Empress Mills are very helpful on the phone when you're not sure what you want is suitable for what you want to make.  They're also great for haberdashery at economical prices

Thank you. I will be giving them a try on some haberdashery bits. I needed some marker pens anyway, and noticed they have some marker pencil refills, which look like they might fit one of my drafting pencils, so I might give that a try too.

I find hand finishing a fairly zen activity but would lose patience sewing long seams by hand - for that the sewing machine is king (queen?) :)

Ha ha.  :laugh: Well, I also knit a bit too, so I am used to very slow progress. I'm not overly concerned about the rate of productivity. I'll just have half an hour on whatever project here and there, and so long as the general momentum is forward, I'm happy. I don't "work" on things. I won't let them become a chore. I just faff around to pass the time. Finished projects are just an occasional happy bonus  :D

TangledBloke

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 23:00:51 PM »
Hello @TangledBloke welcome to TSP.

There's a chart at https://stonemountainfabric.com/what-gsm-means-and-how-to-use-it/ which gives you a rough idea of typical GSM for different fabrics.

It can only be aproximate because the tightness/loosness of the spun fibres which make up and fabric varies, the closeness or openness of the weave/knit also varied; both will affect the GSM.  Also natural fibres have a lower density than synthetic fibres so a cotton fabric will have a slightly lower GSM than a polyester fabric of the same thickness/construction.

Ahhh! Thank you for that. Now I know not to put too much emphasis/importance on that value, and look for other characteristics.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 16:44:32 PM »
Hi and Welcome.   :toast:

Cazlyn

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2024, 07:55:45 AM »
Welcome to TSP x
Crafting is my happy place

TangledBloke

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2024, 21:06:58 PM »
Thank you both

Sara-S

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 10:12:42 AM »
Welcome @TangledBloke !  I'm a quilter, who has learned a great deal from the folks here. And as others have said, there is no sewing/quilting police here. I am also a firm believer that there is often more than one way to get something done.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

TangledBloke

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2024, 13:10:51 PM »
Thanks @Sara-S

Discovering new ways to do new things is exactly why I'm here   0_0 The fact that rules aren't hard and fixed suits me down to the ground. I am someone who veers off the well trodden path quite often, even if it would be simpler to stay the course. I'm a sucker for thinking "what happens if I were to..."