The Sewing Place

Marking Tools

b15erk

Re: Marking Tools
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 16:16:59 PM »
Oh my word, thank you all!! 

I think tailors tacks and thread tracing seem to be the way to go - I'll have to brush up my hand sewing techniques!

Just to be on the safe side, I've just ordered a chalk wheel!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 15:49:39 PM »
I use a wide variety of marking tools as dance fabrics aren't always the easiest thing to mark. I should use tailor tacking more but always seem to manage to split the thread with the sewing machine and then curse at all the bits stuck fast in the machine sewing.

I use the Frixxion pens a lot where they won't be seen afterwards and use them a lot for my sewing notes as I'm constantly editing them. My ability to write accurately seems to have dwindled since the seduction of just type first, edit later that came with computing so easy erasing is welcome. I did have a disaster when an important list disappeared after I spilt a cup of tea on it  :o but a spell in the freezer brought it all back very legibly!

I like the Chaco chalk marker much more than the Prym. I bought the Prym one with the handy guide for marking seam allowances - great gadget apart from the quality of line it produces which is very poor and lumpy in comparison with the Chaco, could be their quality of chalk of course, rather than the mechanism. I've seen at least two well known class teachers on Bluprint singing the praises very effusively of the Chakoner (heart shaped chalk wheel from Japan). From their demonstrations of it, it does look very good and I love Japanese notions so I've tried to find it but it's 'unavailable currently' on Amazon which happens so often and on Etsy it's posted from the US. I've emailed Beyond Measure who sell quite a few Japanese items to see if they might get some in and await their reply.

I've seen wax chalks discussed previously but usually by people warning against them and saying they can leave greasy marks on many fabrics. I've not tried them myself.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 16:21:59 PM »
@Marniesews I use a Chaco marker too.  But I’d like a Chakoner too.  I looked quite a while ago but as you say it’s posted from the US and it was expensive.  If you find one let us know.