The Sewing Place

Look What I Did With My Scraps contest - 01.04. - 30.04.2020

toileandtrouble

Re: Look What I Did With My Scraps contest - 01.04. - 30.04.2020
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 04:23:44 AM »
Yes, thank you Manuela, I have modified it a bit. It was more like a diary entry, but there is not really much more to say about it.  Thanks for the suggestions, they have really helped.motivate me this year.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Flobear

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »
@Manuela   I was just about to post my entry when I re-read the rules and found that I forgot to take a pic of the scraps before I started  :facepalm:  All I have to show now is the original item which generated the scraps and a few scraps left from the scraps I used. Is that acceptable or do I have to pass on this event having fallen at the first hurdle?  :'(
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 13:46:47 PM »
No @Flobear I think you have it exactly right ... post away!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Flobear

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 15:19:06 PM »
OK here goes.  Flobear's hat :

It's a Scrappy Hat for gardening / camping / festivals.

The pattern is a v.v. old Butterick that I have used and adapted for many years. It has some seriously weird hats!

I used leftovers from my first-ever Darkside Venture - this Arrowhead block - plus a bit of green that I didn't use in that block and a couple of pretty bits that Imi gave me.  I had used some of them earlier for a practice mug-rug.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Although the pattern doesn't include a lining, I lined the crown and top. All hat-shaped pieces had lightweight fusible interfacing ironed on. Having practised Crumb quilting on a tea-cosy, I had to adapt the technique a bit to make the curved shape for the brim.

The brim has an extra layer of medium weight iron-on interfacing to give it more body and so the brim turns up nicely, although it could be worn turned down if you want to lurk incognito!

Here's the top view

If it looks creased, that's intentional, it's meant to be squishy. After all the pressing, I had to leave it under some books overnight!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 15:22:13 PM by Flobear »

Ann

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 19:24:33 PM »
Ann's Entry

Masks for a cancer patient and their family and our DDIL

Pattern used
Bookmark This Moment
Canton Village Quilt Works

What scraps/leftover fabrics did you use

I made a bunch of bags and had scraps left over from them. They were put on the stash shelf hoping they would be used for some project.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

The first masks were pleated and had elastic. They were too big for DDIL so I hunted for a new pattern. I found the contoured one and she loves them. The pattern was straight forward and I followed both the written instructions and video. If a child can make the contoured mask easily then I should have no problems.

The second batch I made for a family where the mom is having chemo, I did a bit more assembly line sewing. Plus I did the same fabric until done. I like how the ties are put on with the pleated mask and all went well.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 11:00:51 AM by Ann »
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

toileandtrouble

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 22:34:35 PM »
Something weird happened, I already posted this but it got lost. Think I crossed with Ann and didn't click Post again. Measured my 20cm squares and found they were actually 40cm, must be losing my touch.  I have found a way to use them up, and some of the blue as well but I'm not telling until it's all done!  Having great fun with this today. It's a long time since I just played.
Love those hats @Flobear.  Sunny on Wednesday for us. Hope you get to wear them where you are.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 23:01:32 PM »
@Flobear that is a marvelous hat. Might I ask the pattern number?  I need to see what the "seriously weird hats!" look like.  :)

@Ann those are great masks. Thank you for your kindness to others.  <3

Something someone mentioned on another thread earlier today reminded me of something I've been wanting to make using scraps. I'll just dust off the scrap bag and have a look see.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2020, 02:45:52 AM »
@Manuela   I was just about to post my entry when I re-read the rules and found that I forgot to take a pic of the scraps before I started  :facepalm:  All I have to show now is the original item which generated the scraps and a few scraps left from the scraps I used. Is that acceptable or do I have to pass on this event having fallen at the first hurdle?  :'(

The original item that generated the scraps is absolutely fine @Flobear 

Ann

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
I'm loving everyone's use of scraps. I forgot to post that last night. DDIL came in to ask me to make 34 masks for the essential service business she works for. All will be pleated and all will come out of the stash. I start today by washing fabric and sewing up two I have sitting on the cutting table. I don't have enough scraps to make all those masks so am digging in the stash for fabric.

Happy scrap sewing.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Flobear

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2020, 18:11:24 PM »
Here's the front of the pattern envelope @Renegade Sewist

and the back

Mine is based on view D

View E is the weirdest imo. but there are other candidates!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 19:43:04 PM »
@Flobear I had a feeling it was that pattern.  :)  I'll need to dig in the bottom pattern drawer. I might have this one. It's the one with the ear flaps,  view I that I found the strangest.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Flobear

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2020, 21:05:05 PM »
That's certainly a contender @Renegade Sewist  :D

wrenkins

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2020, 21:20:36 PM »
What is wrong with you two? Trapper hats are the best hats!  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:56 AM »
What is wrong with you two? Trapper hats are the best hats!  :o

Yup! Warm lugs anyone?  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Manuela

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »
When being able to decide what to do with myself two days ago, I rummaged around in the sewing room and found 2 largish pieces of fabric leftover from this project. They have been marinating for 3 years.

I basically quilted perforated denim onto lace - that picture was taken in Thailand - Easter 3 years ago....

Anyway, I can just about managed to get a dress out of it, need to complete quilting though - let’s see if I can manage to make the dress in time...