The Sewing Place

Choosing buttons

Gernella

Re: Choosing buttons
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 10:07:27 AM »
What about going snaps that look like buttons @Vezelay, although me being me it would be no buttons and replaced with a zip. That peacock fabric is fabulous.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 14:38:23 PM »
@Gernella - I think the snaps option would run into similar difficulties attaching them back to back, no? And a zip would involve altering the pattern collar and fronts a lot. But good to consider other options like that, so thanks.

I just feel there must be an answer - it can't be the only reversible jacket/gilet with buttons - so how do other patterns deal with this?

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 16:09:27 PM »
To stir the pot even more @Vezelay, what about metal buttons.  I've used them a few times where I just couldn't find an ordinary button to suit, and with good results.

With Totally Buttons you can get a few to try and then send them back when you've decided which one and you get a credit against the ones you want.

Also 10% off if you use the code THANKYOU.

https://www.totallybuttons.com/metal-buttons/?p=6
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 17:46:35 PM »
Nice :) and very reasonable too, as is the postage to Ireland. Yes, think shank buttons could be the way to go.