The Sewing Place

New trouser zip

Gernella

New trouser zip
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
He passed me some  trousers yesterday for a new zip, just like it was shortening trousers (easy).  I have never done one and don't really want to.  Anyway I've ordered a zip from Jaycotts (with a few other bits that I didn't really need but seemed a shame to waste good postage). 

One side looks easy but the other side looks complicated as it's all enclosed.  They are a cream trousers, old but he likes them because they are very light weight, good for summer.

Anybody got any tips, pictures?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

snoozi soozi

Re: New trouser zip
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »
My OH received a few choice words and a thorough explanation of how you cannot just put a new zip in.

Refuse  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:47:55 AM »
Mr Acorn handed me his favourite shorts the other day with a sombre look on his face.  'Can these be mended?' he asked, clearly steeling himself for bad news.  About two inches of stitching had come undone down one side - a doddle to fix.

Unfortunately he now probably thinks that dodgy zips are no problem at all.   :[
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
I think you need @Sandra ! I usually explain, in great detail, how fitting in the zip is the first thing done when making trousers, when all the pieces of fabric are still separate and how it isn't possible to put in a new one without dismantling the whole garment.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
DH knows not to ask for new zips in things.  I will do other repairs for him.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
Hmmmm....wish I'd got some pictures to illustrate better how it's done.

The unpicking takes longer than replacing, although you don't need to unpick the whole garment.  0_0
You need to unpick whatever's needed to get the old zip out, and not much more than that.
As you unpick the zip you'll probably see how it's been done so you'll know how to get it back together again... -< maybe. Use the original stitch lines as a guide of where you are positioning your replacement zip.
The very bottom of the zip can be really awful to unpick. Usually a very tightly stitched bar-tack with miniscule stitches. I'm surprised I haven't made a hole unpicking that bit.

The first side to get in is the (easy) underneath bit. I never worry if my zip's a bit long. Just chop it off and tuck it up inside the waistband. Don't position the zip too low. It makes sewing the top-stitching awkward at the bottom when you get to that part.

Then I fasten the waistband and the zip to get the overlapped side in place. Pin it from the outside to get it in the position it needs to be in....then transfer your pinning to get the zip pinned onto the single layer of the facing. This often doesn't follow the original stitching lines.
Stitch it in place...probably with two rows of stitching. Then you should be ready to do your visible row (sometimes two rows) of top-stitching to hold the facing piece flat. Remember to fold the inside underlap/facing (from the other side of the zip) out of your way so you don't catch it.

Lastly, there's going to be something needs doing at the very bottom of the zip. Varies between trouser styles. Often a bar-tack. Sometimes top-stitching and a bar-tack...whatever you unpicked, you just put back. Remember to lay the underlap/facing bit flat to catch that in to hold it down too.
And finally...a bar-tack to hold the underlap/facing to the bottom edge of the top-stitched sides facing.

:\ :S Ooooh...I've just read that through and I understand what I'm waffling on about. I do apologise if (ha, ha if?!) it doesn't make sense to anyone else.
There must be some youtube tutorial to show you clearly how it's done?

I really wish I'd got some pictures for you. I find it difficult to write clearly what I mean and make sense. I must try to remember to show you how it's done some day.
I promise you it's not that bad a job. It was one of the first jobs I was ever taught when I left school and worked in an alterations shop.

Sandra.
xxx

This reply has taken me ages. I've added bits and deleted other bits and it still isn't very clear.  :S I'm going to write myself a note to remember to show you how it's done when/if I ever get any work.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »
I think you need @Sandra ! I usually explain, in great detail, how fitting in the zip is the first thing done when making trousers, when all the pieces of fabric are still separate and how it isn't possible to put in a new one without dismantling the whole garment.

I watched a video last night@Greybird and she made it look so easy.  I think I might have to watch a few more.  I've just been on my niece's website where she has a "High End Alterations" bit.  She doesn't even mention zips or I could have passed it on.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
Thank you @Sandra  it does give me an idea of where to go next.  I have told him that the zip goes in first but I think because I put a new zip in an old jacket  for him (still wearing it) because he liked it, he thought it would be easy.  That was, just lots of unpicking.

If it gets to be a dogs breakfast, he'll just have to buy more.

There's certainly something going on at the bottom, looks a bit bunchy.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 16:50:53 PM »
I've just found a video on this that seems perfect, and it is on light fabric so you can see what's she's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hApaAXZr0

I shall have to watch as I take them apart.  With a bit of luck the zip won't come while next week so I can do something for me.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 22:15:13 PM »
I don't quite know how to put this without putting a spanner in the works but did you unpick the zip before you ordered a new one? The reason I ask is because sometimes men's trousers have curved zips in, if you've never tackled one don't worry they aren't that hard. I can't remember the exact reason they use them but memory tells me it's got something to do with the fly shape.

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 22:32:51 PM »
Curved metal trouser zips...I've not seen any in years.
I remember them being very long and always seemed to be in old fashioned, musty smelling trousers.  :S

But, yes. They're as easy to put in as a regular zip.

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 00:25:28 AM »
DH knows not to ask for new zips in things.  I will do other repairs for him.

I have managed to educate Terry to know that asking for a new zip in a pair of trousers is only doable if he does the unpicking first - and that is not likely to happen.

Why is it that zips and pockets are the first bits to be done in the construction of trousers but are the most likely bits to need repairing?  :ninja: :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 07:49:31 AM »
@Sandra  Many years ago, I had a Simplicity pattern for men's trousers that asked for an 11"zip.  I tried asking for one at the local haberdashery stall and got laughed at.  Glad to know I was not going crazy.  Actually, if you look at those old b&w films.....
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 09:46:11 AM »
Nope, @Surest1tch, just looked on Jaycotts for men's zips and got the nearest colour possible. I'm going to do my best but if it's not right I'm not going to worry too much.  I'll tell him I'll replace the zip with velcro if it looks a mess 0_0.

No idea what he's done but the zip in has been ripped away from the sides, he must have given it a mighty yuk.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
You could punch holes in either side and lace them up, as with a corset.  He could start a new fashion.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.