The Sewing Place

Paprika Patterns Opal Cardigan

Ploshkin

Paprika Patterns Opal Cardigan
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »
First time I've used this pattern - I can't remember who recommended it (probably Vezelay, my pattern guru).
It's very quick to make and I really like it and it's one of those things that I know I will wear out and the pattern will definitely get used again.  I'd like to find a nice, sweater knit.
My only criticism of the pattern is the lack of instructions for attaching the front/ neck band. Apart from the centre back neck there are no notches for matching up.  The band is quite a bit shorter than the garment edge but you need to put a lot of stretch round the concave neckline, a bit of ease round the convex curve at the base of the V so that it lies flat and just a smidge of stretch down the straight fronts.  I have done jersey many times so I was ok but an inexperienced person could end up with a bit of a mess.
I used this fabric which is a bit unuaual.  The 3 layers make it a bit thicker than normal jersey, but I think to call it quilted is a bit of an exaggeration.  It has a very warm and comfortable feel without being too bulky.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Paprika Patterns Opal Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 12:43:03 PM »
Nice cardigan.  And I see it’s photographed over your lovely top.  :).
I looked at this fabric myself but wasn't sure about it.  Sounded like something from out of the 60's.  Is it actually a knit with stretch?  I do Lamazi Fabrics.  I’ve had one or two nice bits from there and they do have some quality stuff on their site. 

I do like cardigan patterns.  But so many of them have no buttons.  Edge to edge is fine but not in the winter!   

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 13:08:05 PM »
@Ohsewsimple It is a jersey knit with a fair bit of stretch (I stay stitched the back neck and taped the shoulder seams).
It's a pattern that would be easy to adapt sightly for a button band.  In fact, because it is a loose fit you could probably put buttons on it without changing the pattern.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 14:08:41 PM »
@Ploshkin I might have a better look at the fabric then.   :rolleyes:
Yes I’m sure there are lots of patterns you can add bands too.  But it just smacks a bit of laziness as there are sooooo many like that. 
I’m always on the lookout for sweater knit.  I got some from here

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/634764870/hacci-classic-sweater-knit-fabric-50-x?ref=shop_home_active_30&crt=1   

It was very cheap.  I’ve had about 3 different lots.  It’s quite fine, stretchy, washes ok.  It is polyester so that’s my only gripe.  It comes from Poland.  I’ve also had a wool mix from someone on Etsy too but can’t remember where that came from.  There’s quite a few from Europe on Etsy. 

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 14:41:03 PM »
i`m very drawn to these but think they might "pill"

https://www.higgsandhiggs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ccable+knit+jersey

Vezelay

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 15:16:13 PM »
Sorry @Ploshkin, it wasn't me - I can't take the credit for putting you onto it. But I really like your cardi/jacket - the band is narrower than the Blackwood and similar patterns, and those pockets are a great shape. I just looked at the description on their website and they make the absence of those pesky buttons and buttonholes a positive virtue! None of that tricky inserting them into knit fabric makes it a much faster sew, and - wait for it - so much easier to take it off. Yes they really say that 0_0

The pattern can go in my 'wanted soon' list.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 15:23:11 PM »
When I say wear out I don't mean 'out' out but wear to destruction  :) (though I would probably wear it 'out' out too)

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 15:37:41 PM »
When I say wear out I don't mean 'out' out but wear to destruction

Great expression. I now have a mental picture of your cardi in tatters as you plough forward through the battlefield  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 16:09:04 PM »
I’ve been wanting to hear about a Paprika pattern.

I rather fancy their Jasper Sweater and it gets good reviews on PR but it’s nice to hear from someone whose judgement one trusts.

Why I should trust @Ploshkin rather than unknown ladies on PR, I don’t know but I do.

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 16:54:06 PM »
@Ploshkin
Very nice shape and pockets on that cardigan and it looks like a nice balance between casual and smart.
BTW - there's a useful FBA tutorial on their site which I've bookmarked.
 :D