The Sewing Place

Fat Quarters?

Efemera

Fat Quarters?
« on: June 19, 2020, 22:29:03 PM »
Is it usual not to sell FQ?... I’ve been talking to The Quilt Room, I wanted some Tula PinK solids, 22 colours in all but they don’t sell fat quarters :S...long quarters but not FQ. That’s a £50 sale they’ve lost.

Lilian

Re: Fat Quarters?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 22:58:16 PM »
@Efemera I see what you mean. It's difficult to find  >< I found tula fqs  but it's out of stock  :S

Also found Prairie Points have them but they are USA.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 23:01:02 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 00:28:43 AM »
Lovelyjubbly have all but two or three at £2.50 a FQ
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:40:24 AM »
The other thing to be aware of when buying FQs is whether thay are imperial/American measurements with is a long half yard (18") cut in half or a metric long half metre (about 20") cut in half. 

IMO, all shops in UK where metric measurements are mandatory (imperial an optional extra) they should be the bigger half metre size, but it's surprising how many are imperial size.  Generally if the price looks to be good they are the smaller size.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »
I imagine that the shops, having been particularly busy with mail order during the lockdown, have stopped selling the FQs after they sold out as time saving exercise ... I always try and talk to someone rather than buying online, even if I order online after the conversation, because most people want to be helpful.

Why not give them a call, or email ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:20:28 AM »
I know I'll probably be thrown out for trespassing here on the darkside, but I've always wondered why you lot want fat quarters instead of just a quarter of a metre when you cut them up in little pieces anyway?  :S

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »
I imagine that the shops, having been particularly busy with mail order during the lockdown, have stopped selling the FQs after they sold out as time saving exercise ... I always try and talk to someone rather than buying online, even if I order online after the conversation, because most people want to be helpful.

Why not give them a call, or email ???

I have spoken to her on several occasions but they do not sell fabric in fat quarters...I found that rather odd.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »
I think its to get more of the pattern if the material has one ...

@Efemera ... Oh thats odd ....
Is there anywhere else sell the fabric you want ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:25:44 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 10:24:40 AM »
I know I'll probably be thrown out for trespassing here on the darkside, but I've always wondered why you lot want fat quarters instead of just a quarter of a metre when you cut them up in little pieces anyway?  :S

I may want to use some for cushion backs and a long quarter is only 10” as opposed to a FQ of 20”

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 14:52:50 PM »
Looks like you can get them here @Efemera  https://www.sewhot.co.uk/?s=Tula+pink+solids&post_type=product though some are out of stock.
They say quarter metres are FQs.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 14:54:34 PM by Vezelay »