The Sewing Place

Hello from Portsmouth UK

Silvi3

Hello from Portsmouth UK
« on: June 21, 2020, 22:23:22 PM »
Hi, I'm Silvi and I'm very pleased to be here.
(and I love your emojis)
I learned to sew many years ago and made my own clothes on an ancient singer sewing machine  :vintage: when I was at art college (it was trendy to do that then  :) ).

But apart from making simple dresses for my daughters   :frock: and the odd fancy dress outfit, I gave up sewing for years and when I turned to a craft, I took up crochet instead!  :wool:

But about 2 years ago, my hubby bought me a sewing machine - a pretty basic one  :sew:, but it was a lovely surprise (although I had been hinting...  ;)). And I began making bags - big, small and all shapes and even sold some at markets.

At the start of lockdown, I also made a load of different masks too - for the family.

But now I'm branching out to make clothes (and maybe try quilting too), but it's years since I've read a pattern.
I am also a bit lost when it comes to choosing from all the different fabrics...
So, I will be scouring these forums looking to pick up all the hints and asking questions too.
I might also be able to help with some info on bag making, but you are all probably more skilled than me, so perhaps not!

Hope that's okay with you all :)
It's very nice to meet you.

BrendaP

Re: Hello from Portsmouth UK
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 22:50:46 PM »
Hi @Silvi3   Welcome to TSP

If you are good enough to have sold bags then you are better at bagmaking than me!

RE: choosing fabrics.  Back in the day many moons ago I used to go into town, buy a pattern and then spent ages looking at the different fabrics deciding what each one would look like made up in that pattern.  That's how I learned to visualise the made up pattern.

Now that there is a dearth of fabric shops, especially in the south, it has become necessary to buy online :(  and no matter how good the description is there is nothing like actually seeing and handling the fabric to know what it it will make up like.  So, I, and many others on here,  have acquired considerable stashes of fabric.  I order it and it arrives, sometimes it's lovely, sometimes not, and very often it's nice fabric but not suitable for what I had in mind :S

Darkside stuff (P&Q) isn't quite so vague, the craft weight cottons are much more of a muchness than dress fabrics are.  For me darkside is more about getting lots of different colours to choose from.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 08:20:50 AM »
Welcome @Silvi3 to the forum.  There is a wealth of knowledge here and people generous with their time and insight, so don't be shy.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:25:17 AM »
Hello and welcome @Silvi3
Still learning

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 09:06:29 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
Hello there...

Kenora

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »
A warm welcome from me as well. I, too, came back to sewing garments after years of making for charities or doing P&Q. The hardest part has been learning all the new fabrics which have appeared since I was last sewing for myself. I sent off for a beautiful silky satin intending to make a nightdress, but what I received was a glorious brocade only suitable for a coat or waistcoat!  :S As @BrendaP said, that's how our stashes grow! :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 13:02:25 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Silvi3
Lots of knowledgeable people here so you can get plenty of help. 

I’m originally from Pompey.  I’m about 10 miles from there now.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 16:02:16 PM »
Hi Silvi, welcome from me too  - :D

hernibs

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 16:07:01 PM »
Welcome @Silvi3 - great to have you on board (pun intended) may you have 'calm seas' for all your sewing journeys and cruise along for years to come!