The Sewing Place

I need a new hobby so dark side here I come

Celia

I need a new hobby so dark side here I come
« on: July 05, 2020, 10:19:06 AM »
After much deliberation and help I am going to state my intention to join the dark side. I have done a few of the 2020 blocks that Iminea has kindly provided, this has given me some confidence so now my first real project.

I am going to make a pink quilt in the pattern suggested by @wrenkins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYRXjZeiAJY  I don’t think I have enough fabric for the cornerstones and the border but if I just do the cornerstones and use something very similar for the border I think it will work.

The fabric is a jelly roll from Moda and the cream is a very fine calico, first question is this going to be ok?

Iminei

Re: I need a new hobby so dark side here I come
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »
I don’t think I have enough fabric for the cornerstones and the border but if I just do the cornerstones and use something very similar for the border I think it will work.

And zat is ze vonder of Ze Darkside!!!  :devil:

The Missouri Quilting Company have lots of excellent, clear and simple Youtube vids for all types of quilt ... a really good resource in these technological days and somewhat of a fairy story for the Doan family and the town of Hamilton too
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:41:50 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »
I don’t think I have enough fabric for the cornerstones and the border but if I just do the cornerstones and use something very similar for the border I think it will work.

And zat is ze vonder of Ze Darkside!!!  :devil:

True its not that easy to make one leg out of a different fabric if you run out when making trousers etc.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »
Hehehehe another recruit. Welcome @Celia .
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 10:45:16 AM »

True its not that easy to make one leg out of a different fabric if you run out when making trousers etc.

:D :D :D

I'll be watching your progress with interest.  I'm hoping to make the opposite journey.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
No @Pearl don't go :'( Welcome @Celia
Triumph of hope over experience :D

maliw

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:54:04 AM »
It's OK @Pearl you can do both - I do.

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
Don't worry, @Lowena , I'm not leaving.  I'm going to do as @maliw does.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 13:15:00 PM »
As it just so happens my pin-man is back and he brought with him 'stuff for the charity shop/dump' for us to go through. My NDN has two Air B&Bs and he's dumped about twenty sets of bedding including numerous white and cream flat sheets...ideal for practising clothes and fitting and wotnot so I'm hoping to have a foot in both camps soon too.  0_0
@Celia the nice thing about darkside stash is that the pieces are small. (The stash isn't necessarily but the pieces are!  0_0).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 13:55:47 PM »
Sheets make good backing for quilts too.I often use them
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 14:11:04 PM »
Welcome @Celia - I have a foot in both camps too, so it's definitely possible to enjoy both. When you get fed up with one, you can have a go at the other!  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 14:29:15 PM »
As a long-time lightsider and a new darksider, it's perfectly wonderful to have a foot in both camps  :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

maliw

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 16:41:37 PM »
Sheets make good backing for quilts too.I often use them
I second that.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
Well yesterday’s eforts seem a bit small and I am not too sure about the contrast on some of the blocks but I will try to have another go this afternoon. I have packed all bits in a box and have my sewing tools in another, all I need now is a small space downstairs, some muscles to move the sewing machine and I might be able to sew.  My Son is back in my room :(

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
You see, corner stones, blocks, another world totally :rolleyes:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included