The Sewing Place

Baby twisted bargello quilt

Syrinx

Baby twisted bargello quilt
« on: July 08, 2020, 13:43:16 PM »
Hey everyone, first off an apology for being gone so long, what with work and being ill I haven't really managed to finish anything much at all.

I've been asked to make a couple of quilts for people and as I'm currently shoved into a small room with poor table space (don't even ask lol) I can't do anything too complicated unfortunately. I had great plans for a wedding quilt, but on chatting with said engaged friend have had to totally change the design and it's now going to be an art quilt. A double bed sized FPP art quilt. Sigh.
The other quilt is luckily a baby quilt. Gender unknown so have been asked to use neutral colours. I figured a twisted bargello would look cute in small and it's pretty easy to do with limited space and gives me an excellent reason to have more batiks. Gone with green and yellow/orange as pretty neutral and I feel they go well together. Initial idea wouldn't work at 36" (40" with border) so have gone for a super basic twisted waves design. I've added a picture of my computer design so the colours are just showing the numbers and design, the fabrics will be batiks, and grabbing them and making a graded scale of them on the computer is next.

Sorry for the essay! Been away a long time and I'm so sorry! I knitted some hats and jumpers and dresses when I broke my foot just before the world ended but have only just been able to get back on my machine. Baby quilt should be a nice intro back I think.

Any thoughts on the design, if it curves too much/too little etc, what colour to border with, that kind of stuff very welcomed. I'm going to use a bamboo/cottom wadding as it's my favourite, it's great for regulating temperature and means it won't be super thick. It's going to end up in Switzerland!

Baby twisted bargello design

I'm hoping to keep this updated with progress.

If you don't know me, strange complicated quilts are a love of mine. Twisted bargellos and FPP are particular favourites.

Ploshkin

Re: Baby twisted bargello quilt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 14:54:49 PM »
Welcome back @Syrinx .
I think bargello always looks impressive and I've no doubt yours will be no less.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 16:19:08 PM »
Lovely to “see” you, @Syrinx .  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 16:35:01 PM »
Hi honey .... Looking forward to seeing your creations ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 17:33:04 PM »
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll even get a chance to finish my personal lap quilts - the scary twisty fpp and the spiral swans

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
Update

I've been getting a little carried away hunting out fabric. Turns out orange/yellows are a pain with values so it's taking far longer than I'd like.

Green wise (sorry Low) always tonnes about but it's finding "nice" greens in the mid value range I'm struggling with.