The Sewing Place

There must be a pattern for a similar dress?

Syrinx

There must be a pattern for a similar dress?
« on: July 19, 2020, 11:52:13 AM »
So yesterday, as I was making food I wandered past the TV which had Saturday kitchen on and saw this dress. Instantly loved it (except for the overly long ties on the shoulders) and thought how lovely it would look in some batik fabric I saw the other day.

Buttons all down the front, looked to be fitted bodice with one of those fun overhang collar type things.

Anyway, as I'm usually a dark sider, and my light side forays don't necessarily involve patterns I thought I'd ask you if you knew any similar patterns or pattern brands that fit the style so I can start my hunt as searching "fitted button dress" has been most unhelpful

Kad

Re: There must be a pattern for a similar dress?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »
A search for 'button through sundress'  might prove to be more successful?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 12:06:08 PM »
This is not unlike it.  The straps could be made wider, but it does have a waist seam, and elastic across the back, which may not be what you want.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:07:45 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
@Syrinx the closest I can find is the Fiona sundress from Closet Core (Closet Case).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 14:05:04 PM »

The aforesaid Fiona.  Agreed, it's pretty close to the reference dress.

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 18:14:30 PM »
Sundress! Of course  :facepalm:

@Syrinx the closest I can find is the Fiona sundress from Closet Core (Closet Case).

That is pretty close, would just need to add that flop over collar, no idea what it's called. And take off pockets, maybe shorten it a bit. Have to work out how they've done the binding on the placket

I do rather love the blue version too!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 13:12:01 PM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 13:27:17 PM »
I had a fabulous dress like that many moons ago ('mid 90's)

It was black with a multi flowerprint and I had to stitch up the front as it gaped due to my bosom !!! I would love a dress like it again, but sadly the body that went inside it has changed somewhat!!!!

Not a good pic of the dress Im afraid ... but quite (?) a good pic of me and it shows that I ... once ... had joy in my life!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SarahJ

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 21:34:55 PM »
How about Tilly and the Buttons Seren dress https://shop.tillyandthebuttons.com/products/seren The main picture has a frill piece on the front but there is a plain option with a straight bodice top and straps like the picture you linked to. I’ve never made it so can’t vouch for it but this shows it made up
http://whatkatiesews.net/category/tilly-and-the-buttons/