The Sewing Place

Purchasing A Second Hand Machine

Kayfersmum

Re: Purchasing A Second Hand Machine
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »

@geewizz00 I'm following this thread as I've been totally overwhelmed when it comes to the vast array of sewing machines  8)   I'd love to hear how you get on and what you finally decide upon xx
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Sewbusy

Re: Purchasing A Second Hand Machine
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 12:58:03 PM »
Thought I'd add my view on buying and selling used sewing machines using Ebay and other online selling sites.

Over the last 14 years or so I have purchased and sold a number of vintage Bernina machines, some I've held onto for a good many years, all have been used by me and have been serviced and if needed, repaired by my local technician. Others have been sold to fund buying other Bernina models, all mechanical.

I had plans of how to use them hence I had quite a collection.. Unfortunately health and others factors determined that it was neither sensible or practical to keep them all and I made the decision (not lightly) and prior to the Covid-19 situation to sell quite a few of them. Lockdown made collection and delivery nigh on impossible for a few months despite so many potential buyers wanting machines.

Overt the last few weeks I have sold a number of machines mainly via Ebay. I offer local collection with inspection and trial  prior to purchase /payment. All machines have been serviced and receipts for same are available. Accurately and honestly described and without 'flannel'.

They were auction listing with low starting prices and I admit to being very surprised at the prices they have ultimately realised and all buyers have been very satisfied with their purchases whether by collection in person or courier delivery. I doubt the high prices will continue for too long so I'm hopeful for the ones I have remaining to sell.

There are decent machines out there and honest sellers, but there are unscrupulous greedy sellers and naive buyers who lack the knowledge to sort out the wheat from the chaff!.