The Sewing Place

Monster Batik quilt finally finished!

RJR_38

Monster Batik quilt finally finished!
« on: July 22, 2020, 19:11:09 PM »
I have been working on my batik quilt on and off for about 18 months and it is finally finished which is good as I got a bit sick of it. The uses only Batik fabrics or WOW for the backgrounds and sashing etc. There are 100 blocks 6' finished - mainly from the splendid sampler 2 book but some from splendid sampler 1.

Things I have learnt-

1) I HATE quilting anything this big (the photo shows it spread out on our super king bed - its destination is the double bed).

2) I will never again piece the back with vertical strips. I had some gorgeous grey batik (that ai used for the binding) but not enough to do the whole back so I did width of fabric down the middle with WOW either side. In itself it looks lovely but you can see that I havent lined up all the layers perfectly square and/or the quilting has shifted it as they run at an angle.

3) I dont really have the patience for big projects.... they end up annoying me haha.

I've included a couple of pics of some of the blocks as well

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: Monster Batik quilt finally finished!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 19:28:02 PM »
That’s quite some quilt... well done for seeing it through to the finish!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 19:49:48 PM »
That's lovely - I really like the way the colour graduates.  And now you have a large double quilt you don't need to make another one that size!   ;)

Well done!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 21:14:43 PM »
Looks lovely!

I think it's always so satisfying finishing off those giant long term projects. It looks wonderful. That colour gradient is fabulous

fajita

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 21:22:45 PM »
Lovely job. 

And like acorn said, no need to do another one that size. You’ve proved you can do it  :toast:
  • bec likes this

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 21:28:54 PM »
That's a huge amount of work and the finished quilt is very striking.  Well done for persevering.
  • bec likes this
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 21:37:41 PM »
EEEEEEEEMAZING!!!!

Congratulations!

Aaaaand ... B R E A T H E !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

bec

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 21:39:10 PM »
 :o This is BEAUTIFUL! The whole thing so striking with the lovely gradient and then all the individual blocks are so interesting and pretty. Very very well done, I'm in awe!!  :toast:

RJR_38

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 21:47:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have made a teeny tiny credit card holder this evening to counteract the big project haha.

I’m ready to tackle some medium-size projects again now as I must start to use up some of my fabrics!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 22:02:13 PM »
Lovely quilt <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 03:41:26 AM »
I love the watering can square!  I'm with you RJR. I don't like quilting large quilts and don't quite understand the concept of quilting as you go.  It must feel great to be done.   :toast:

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 08:00:00 AM »
Did you follow a pattern or design it yourself, @RJR_38 ?  It’s stunning.  A work of art.   :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

RJR_38

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »
@Pearl  All the individual blocks are from the splendid sampler books (there are 100 blocks per book). For the colour layout I drew out how many red, how many blue blocks etc I would need. Then I simply picked a block I liked, chose a colour and added it to my tally. Once they were all finished I laid them out according to my ‘colour map’ and swapped them about until I was happy with them.

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
Fabulous.  Is that book by Pat Sloan?  I’ve been watching her daily YouTube videos In lock down.  Have you seen she’s broken both her wrists?    :'(

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 19:44:00 PM »
Yes, Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson. Most are from the 2nd book but any I really didn't like I swapped for blocks from the first book.

I didn't know she had injured herself- both wrists is pretty full on :(