Cutting your own patterns

Kwaaked

Re: Cutting your own patterns
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 23:47:17 PM »
All tailors start somewhere, @Sewot

sewmuchmore

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 18:38:48 PM »
A shop bought tissue pattern would be useless after six different cuts? Don't know what you do with them to only get 6 uses out of them but some of my shop bought patterns are years old and have been used multiple times and are still in good nick. It all depends how well you look after them. If i know i will be using a pattern many times then i iron light weight interfacing onto them.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewot

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
A shop bought tissue pattern would be useless after six different cuts? Don't know what you do with them to only get 6 uses out of them but some of my shop bought patterns are years old and have been used multiple times and are still in good nick. It all depends how well you look after them. If i know i will be using a pattern many times then i iron light weight interfacing onto them.
Thats a good idea and thank you.
I am starting to roll my tissue patterns on tubes now and take more care of them.
I am not having much luck with the pattern cutting.
Made three pairs now in calico but I cannot get them to fit properly.
I have bitten the bullet and bought a pattern now for exactly what I was after.
I will open another thread on the Patterns discussions  as the pattern I have bought is unisex and may appeal?
It was a good journey though and I have learnt a lot.
Making patterns for top wear should be easier.
Pants/ trousers have to be right so I will leave that to pattern designers.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
The real problem with creating blocks to your own body is that you really need a fitting buddy who knows what they are doing.  This is a problem for me too because neither my son nor my husband has a clue, nor any interest in learning so I find it difficult to fit across my rear view.  I do have basic blocks from when I did a class, but that was 30 years ago and motherhood and middle age means they really need redrafting!

Maybe there is a sewing class or group in your area (not P&Q - this stuff is not their area) where you might be able to befriend someone for mutual fitting sessions?

pjaj

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 15:51:16 PM »
I've never made my own patterns, but whilst searching for something else I came across Link removed as per The Sewing Places Membership Agreement site and noticed that she has a set of Simple Block templates for sale and s series of YouTube videos on pattern cutting. Might be worth a look?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:31:40 AM by Iminei »
Sent from my abacus