The Sewing Place

Almy top

Syrinx

Almy top
« on: August 16, 2020, 14:15:18 PM »
This was a recent free pattern from style arc.
The instructions are on the vague side and assumes you know how to turn binding stuff but it's not too difficult to put together. The thing I had most difficultly with was determining if the flounce was one piece cut on fold (as shown in one diagram) or two pieces (the pattern piece) considering the only instructions about it are to "neaten the points, overlock and turn under, stitching a narrow seam on the outer part" I am none the wiser and don't own an overlocker. I made it out of two then was short half an inch to get to the neck point. But my neck binding (cut on bias) was a whole inch short of the end so who knows. I didn't really finish any of the seams aside from neck and arm holes with binding so it will probably fray but heyho

I made it out of some cheap taffeta I have lying around because I was unsure of the pattern looking good so figured better to waste bargain bit taffeta that I can reuse as cushion backs that expensive silk!

Came together OK, taffeta is a pain because you sew once and that's it. There are a couple of visible lines of stitching round the neck, the hem on the flounce and at the bottom isn't fabulous, but then I wasn't taking huge amounts of care about it either
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 14:21:37 PM by Syrinx »

UttaRetch

Re: Almy top
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 16:08:41 PM »
The common complaint about StyleArc is the sparse instructions, but you seemed to have worked your way through.  Tafetta would not be my choice of fabric, but don't sew from Satan's fabric cupboard.

The blouse definitely looks better tucked in and if you are minded to have another go, pick maybe a soft woven with perhaps a bit of a pattern.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 16:18:12 PM »
In that stiff taffeta I refer it tucked in but I suspect it will look better worn outside when made up in a softer fabric.

However many buttons you do or don't use there should be one level with the bust apex to prevent gaping.  Hard to tell with that fabric, but it looks as though the nearest to that is just below the fullest part of your bust, so raise that one and space the others accordingly.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 18:21:32 PM »
Yeah no problem with the instructions, I mostly know what I'm doing luckily!

Yeah, I think a nice soft woven or silk would make it a hell of a lot better, but with patterns I'm unsure of I'd always rather use weird stash! I may keep the taffeta, I need to make a hignwaisted black pencil skirt so it may work with that.

The button at the top is apex of bust and I cba to pop another one higher up, the taffeta is so stiff it holds alright.

Glad it doesn't look too horrendous. Also glad I make notes on my patterns as I go with any problem bits so next one should be better.

For taffeta it was very easy to sew, probably because it was cheap bin end