The Sewing Place

Sewing room...what size is yours?

Arloony

Sewing room...what size is yours?
« on: August 19, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
Hello,

My husband wants to build a sewing room for me down our alley way but we are restricted for space...
It will be 2mx2m approx.(working space including table and chair) + for shelves 2m high by 1mn wide....

So my question is...how big do you need your sewing room to be to make it worth having?
For the lucky ones who have one already...how big/small is it?

I don't want him to do all that work (and money) if you say this will be far too small.

PS: I have a big table for big projects so I can always go in the living room if need be.

Thanks for your feedback in advance

Arlene  :thread: :sew:

Efemera

Re: Sewing room...what size is yours?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 13:09:00 PM »
That’s a bit on the small side... you won’t have much room for cutting out by the time you get other stuff in there.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 13:11:29 PM »
If you are cutting out elsewhere and pretty much keeping the sewing room for sewing and a bit of storage I think that is doable.  Can you mock it out with tape and then sit there and pretend you are working to see what it feels like?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 13:23:12 PM »
...pretend you're working...  :laughing: That's exactly what I'd be doing in it.

This is one of those piece of string things and very much depends on how you work. I watch Youtube videos where people have acres of table space and industrial machines (they still use a design floor occasionally) and others seem to manage crammed into a phone box and never stand up.  :S
When I'm cutting I like to access at least two sides of my cutting area. I also hate cutting in sections so larger pieces end up on the floor. That wouldn't be doable in 6x6. If you cut out elsewhere and simply sew and stash then it's a squeeze but manageable. Could you have your ironing and cutting area somewhere else or would that defeat the purpose?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 13:39:45 PM »
@Arloony, there is a whole section of this forum dedicated to sewing rooms - with pictures  :thumbsup:
Here is the link: https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/board,43.0.html

while I have a dedicated sewing room here, in our next place I have an awkward corridor turned into a sewing space. It’s just next to the dining area, with the dining table serving double duty as a cutting table.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The built in table and wall mounted furniture came with the place, I covered the wall cabinets and the drawer unit under the table with blackboard foil. The space provided by the pegboard helps me keeping everything organised.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 13:58:00 PM »
If you have a separate cutting out table (dining table) then 2m x 2m is big enough to fit in a table big enough for a couple of sewing machines some shelves and probably storage boxes under part of the table.  Having somewhere that you can leave a machine out with work in progress rather than having to pack it all away every time makes a huge difference.

Try to have the door opening outwards to maximise your space (or a sliding door or curtain).
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 14:06:38 PM »
I'm using my spare room that is about 12'x9'.  I have a 6'x4' cutting table which takes up much of the space.  Anything smaller wouldn't work for me.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 14:13:26 PM »
Mine is the 4th biggest bedroom and is about 7' x 9.5" just over 2 m x3.5m.
It's big enough for me as I don't make clothes
Triumph of hope over experience :D

elisep

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 14:13:38 PM »
I had a very similar sized space in my last house. Luckily there was already a huge built in closet there that was sufficient for my needs, I would have struggled to make it all work without it. In that space I managed to fit my sewing cabinet, folding cutting table (the horn style where both sides lift up) and my ironing board.
It was tight, and I had to be very tidy, and only have my cutting table up (normally with only 1 side up) when I was actually cutting, and use my ironing board for pinning, etc.
I did have a dining table I could use to cut if I needed it, but very rarely did. I had a housemate and didn’t like for my sewing to spill out into the shared areas.
My one complaint was that due to the age of the house the walls just crumbled and I couldn’t put up any shelves, had to rely on only things that could be put up with temporary hooks.
But I was very glad to have the space! Knowing my personality, if I had to constantly be putting everything away after a sewing session, I would never have done anything.

I say go for it, and have a look at some clever space saving ideas! Manuela’s set up looks ideal!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 14:21:26 PM »
Without getting the tape out I don't really know how big my sewing room is, perhaps 2.5mt x 3mt but I do know it's not big enough. Machines on top of every cupboard, stash in cupboards and a big trunks of it under the cutting table plus trunks of it hidden in the loft, needles, pins etc in small tool boxes, screwdrivers, pliers and scissors in vases, best scissors and marking equipment on hooks on the wall. 3 x 3 draw filing cabinets full of cones of different weight threads, another filing cabinet and a couple of boxes full of patterns, the tailors dummy in my way. Sounds organised doesn't it? believe me it's not  :laughing: but it's usually my happy place.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 15:07:25 PM »
I'm in the attic room. It's big - probably about 14' x 20' - but I share it with office space for me (that's going when I retire  ;) ), office space for DH and a lot of other general storage. Not all of the latter is created by me!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 15:22:57 PM »
Mine is 2.25m x 2.25m. 
The door is in the middle on one side, so I have a long worktop at desk height (sewing machine, overlocker and coverstitcher fit on there, pushed back when not in use) on one side, then a narrow cube store shelf unit under the window, then a cupboard and a desk for the embroidery machine on the third side.  Works well, but I do cut out in the kitchen next door, that's why I had a big island unit.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 15:23:09 PM »
I'm on the lucky side too, I have a log cabin in the garden which is 5m x 3m and has everything in it: a 2m x 1m cutting table, a small table for my sewing machine, an ironing board, a stereo system, a daybed, a threads wall. Needless to say I love it to bits.

I don't think I could manage in a space of 2m x 2m  :thinking: but if you can somehow make a sewing room for yourself then, yes, do it  :thumbsup:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 15:25:19 PM »
I think if you are of a mind, you could work with any space possible just to have the space for your stuff.  It will never be big enough but at least you will learn how to utilise it to the best advantage very quickly. Good comparison is how @Manuela has got it sorted.

My sewing room is around 17ft long  but only about 8.6" wide but I have to share with a cat with cat stuff although as he's turned from kitten to man I've gradually got rid of a bit, and also a desktop,  scanner and printer (not all in ones).

It sounds more than sufficient but I could do with a proper turf out to make it work much better.  If I'm cutting out I'm backing into a chair and if I'm using the overlocker or the 'cutting out' table, the chair is backing into a cat tree.  In the past I have worked in clutter, it is significantly better but it could be improved.  I've got it pencilled in for a decorate next year, that's a good time to get mean.

I have a thing about shelves as well, I don't like them, so most  storage I have tends to 'go under'
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 15:25:36 PM »
I forgot to say, will the 2m x 2m be the inside measurements?  If it's the outside, then that would make it very small inside.