The Sewing Place

Septembers Final BOM - Slipknot

Acorn

Re: Septembers Final BOM
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
I used the traditional method - I guess there's something to be said for the cheats' method.  I did undo part of it and resew because more of them were out of line.  I also had to redo the centre square because it came out too big - which never happens for me!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 14:28:06 PM »
It's beautiful @Acorn<3 Love your fabrics too. I'm only just starting mine (wish me luck) so please save some fizz for when if I get to the BOM HOF. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 15:53:06 PM »
My geese came out too big by a good bit. I just centred them and trimmed almost 1/4" off each side after I'd sewn. By that point there might have been muttering about marathons...not the Snicker sort and where's DDD so I can put her windies in!  :laughing:
I am finally left with a nine patch to assemble and am having a sit down and a caramel wafer.  :faints:

I am loving these blocks. Thanks @Iminei  :hug:

Update:-

Here 'tis. The whiskers at the side are what I shaved off to make it twelve and a half. I did a happy dance when I finished it.  :dance:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 17:18:35 PM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 17:34:19 PM »
Well done - and very nice!

Pssst... @Iminei ... can we have some more fizz please.  I was, um, thirsty...  :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bjay

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 18:27:28 PM »
I've cut out the pieces for the first one.
Going to take it easy but love the design.

Am I the only one that when cutting I am taking more care with scraps  thinking how I can use the bits (a lot of them now) to make  the final one?
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Iminei

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 10:05:05 AM »
THAT is Wonderful @wrenkins  and the first one (I think) that is the right size ...
Can I ask which method you used for the HST's, SiS and FG ???

Run along and join Sandra and Acorn in the BOMHOF, you might want to take her some aspirin, and the extra fizz is in the back of the cupboard!

:angel:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 10:15:55 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 15:35:49 PM »
HSTs I cut 2 1/2" squares, cut them on the diagonal and trimmed to 2"
FG were made using three individual triangles, very long winded and very weird! These I needed to trim nearly 1/4" off each side but I waited till I had got as far as my nine patch at the end to make sure.
SiS I cut the square at three and sixpence (can't remember) and added the triangles cut from a 4 and a bit " square bisected diagonally twice. Two sides then the other two sides.
Every time I sewed a bit I checked for points and seams and I didn't miss one. I did sew very carefully and steamrollered it on the bread board. At one point I was hammering a really thick junction with the back of a spoon!  :faints: Who is it has a hammer? Is it @Gernella:laughing:

It is now quilted to within an inch of it's life and ready to go for sashing.  :angel:
And I have a hump like a camel.

75 pieces m'lady!!! ><
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gernella

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2020, 16:22:09 PM »
Yes I have a hammer @wrenkins, which has various duties including being used to hold a pattern down  sometimes.

Having a looked at your post, it makes my proposed Chanel project look a piece of cake. Also the HSTs   SiS and FG, it's another flipping language :scream:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 16:39:27 PM »
@Gernella I took a look at your Linton tweed and fainted!  :faints: It starts fraying before you've even ordered it!

Gernella

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2020, 18:02:37 PM »
I would agree with you @wrenkins I've had samples before and they were fraying as soon as I opened the envelope.  This looks quite a solid fabric, it had better be, I've just ordered it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2020, 18:36:37 PM »
It took me a couple of hours to make the first block but almost as long to figure out how to transfer the photo from my phone to my laptop via wifi  :S. Gggrrr. Technology is wonderful when it works. :)

Here is my well-steamrollered block. Need a cuppa and a long sit down before I start to tackle the next one.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Looking at it now, I wish I'd swapped the green fabric and the stripy fabric with each other. Oh well. Too late now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 18:40:33 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2020, 18:40:14 PM »
Lovely @Kenora. Just lovely.  :loveit:

Iminei

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
Beautiful, I'd get in the BOMHOF on the double, Acorn & Co are on the 2nd bottle of fizz ..

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2020, 13:32:14 PM »
Despite the spectacular failure of my 'needlesforblindpeople' I have just completed sewing in my ends.  :angel:
I was aiming for twelve blocks with spares but now I'm going for sixteen. I'm having a lovely time.  :hug:

Cheesecake

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2020, 18:41:37 PM »
Loving what everyone’s done with this block, they all look great.  It’s the kind of patchwork look I really like so hopefully eventually I’ll have a go at it. 

I’m struggling to get any sewing done as can’t fit in just a bit here and there as my sewing rooms being used for other things so can’t leave things out.