The Sewing Place

Spectacular Senior Style

snoozi soozi

Re: Spectacular Senior Style
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
Practical or not, I follow the rule of I'll wear what I want when I want and don't give much of a flyer as to whether or not folks think it's appropriate, or even like it  ;)

yes, I often get strange looks. Care, moi?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 13:16:22 PM »
Practical or not, I follow the rule of I'll wear what I want when I want and don't give much of a flyer as to whether or not folks think it's appropriate, or even like it  ;)

yes, I often get strange looks. Care, moi?

Exactly this  :dance:
As I stated a few weeks ago when I was in quarantine - I’m wearing (my versions of) runway outfits to the supermarket and full on red carpet gear to the pub and the cinema (when they’ll reopen). I dress up to go 18 floors up to tutor a 6 and a 10 year old and won’t leave the house with at least mascara on...
And yes, I love Ari Seth Cohen’s Advanced Style blog. When we’ll finally be in Thailand, our pub will be my personal catwalk  :dance:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 14:04:22 PM by Manuela »

Sewingsue

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 13:50:47 PM »
When we’ll finally be in Thailand, out pub will be my personal catwalk  :dance:

Oh I think we were all taking that for granted  0_0
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 13:59:27 PM »
My mum's friend has 'style'. She always looks relaxed but very put together and not matchy at all. She doesn't drive and must walk a hundred miles a week on her various mercy missions so I don't think a glamorous lifestyle is necessary to look stylish.
Here I sit in mens' trousers and a fleece pretending I'll go out into the garden later.  ><
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 15:46:50 PM »
Come on now grumpies, chill out! This is art - whether it's the jet set or a sewer with talent and imagination. There are only a lucky few who are up to it and would even have desire to actually live the mannequin lifestyle in reality. I'd have to lie down in a dark room after two consecutive days of such attention to detail.  :faints:  There's all sorts of inspiration in there for colour and shape, especially the detailed touches that can make a huge difference to a more modest outfit.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 18:44:49 PM »
Art of not, they look dreadful to me. Eccentricity for the sake of it. We can't all like the same things and they can wear what they want .Some people enjoy making a spectacle of themselves obviously.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kwaaked

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 19:17:45 PM »
As someone that lives in one of those backwater places, and doesn't dress terribly outlandishly:

Clothing doesn't have to be out there to be outlandish in your places.   Yesterday I wore a 60s style sheath (in green and blue print, which admittedly was a little more "out there" then not although the dress itself was fine, specifically Vogue 7139), black pumps and hose and today I am in denim wide legged slacks, a boho top and 70s inspired sandals...and I look as eccentric as they do in my own neck of the woods.  While nothing is wrong with it, I am not wearing sherbet colored high waters, a size too small with wedges and a frilly blouse with a Karen hair cut...which is how "dressy" is done in my area by the over 40 wealthy women. 

I stick out because I am 45 and not competing with my teenage daughter.  I dress low key elegant instead of twee.  My hair is long, not blonde and I don't sound like I am trying to be a breathless little child who needs help constantly (which yes, the sherbet dressing and this describes most of my friends).

If I dressed as to what was appropriate to my area, I would never get out of leggings, stretched t-shirts and ugly shoes.  Sometimes...the outlandishness is worth it.

sewingj

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 19:33:25 PM »
@Kwaaked I had to Google 'high Waters'. It's not a term used in the UK - and I definitely don't want sherbet coloured ones!

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 19:34:18 PM »

Ooh, I like.  Not sure about the camoflage print, though.

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 19:39:11 PM »
@Kwaaked I had to Google 'high Waters'.
Me too.  All I can say is that those trousers look as if they have had an argument with the shoes.

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 21:29:23 PM »
Now, make them a size or two smaller then they need, their arse eating the back seam while they clomp around like horses with tiny, little tippy toe steps that is far less graceful then they think it is...while sounding like Minnie Mouse, and you have what passes for "style" here.

That and leggings as pants with the mesh sides.  Specifically these.  Tops vary from t-shirts to hoodies and at all price points.

Kwaaked

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 21:31:59 PM »
Let me also add: I say nothing here that I do not say to my own friends' faces.

In a Butch voice.  While rolling my eyes. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2020, 21:53:45 PM »
I grew up hearing my father saying to my mom "are you really going to let her leave the house dressed like that? " or it's variant,  " looking like that? "  :laughing: And yes, she did.  :dance: So I have eccentric down, it's who I am. I just wish I had someone to pal around with. Heck, right now I just wish we could go places period. I also wish we had decent weather for being out on the street. That is where you see some of the best fashion....

I've never seen a pair of narrow legged high waters that wasn't gorgeous. Ones that look like bell bottoms but are mid calf can be problematic. It depends on proportions and can work but often is a fail for looking balanced. Or course if the wearer is happy then who gives a Rodent's Patootie what anyone else thinks.

I wish I could wear a bigger variety of shoes. Shoes finish it off. These two both have some fabulous shoes.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 00:41:26 AM »

Ooh, I like.  Not sure about the camoflage print, though.

I like the detail of the trim along the princess seam leading into a pleat. I might try that next time I sew a shoulder princess style.

The neckline though looks dated/60s and IME not particularly comfortable to wear.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 00:44:50 AM »
@Kwaaked I had to Google 'high Waters'. It's not a term used in the UK - and I definitely don't want sherbet coloured ones!

I did too - high waters here means high tides!

The sherbert colours you refer to are, to a large extent, what I didn't like about her clothes; a lot of yellow and brown which are definitely not me and his trousers look like a schoolboy at end of term when he's grown out of them!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.