The Sewing Place

Best lining for a mid weight wool

Syrinx

Best lining for a mid weight wool
« on: September 17, 2020, 13:42:13 PM »
I'm all out of lining fabric (other than some white stuff that I inherited) and want to get on with a nice skirt in a wool tartan. It's mid weight and reasonably soft but it definitely needs a lining.

I only really line jackets which usually means silk/satin etc so vv expensive, but I'm hoping you all might have good lining suggestions for a mid weight wool that aren't ££££.

I always gets a bit stuck with linings and as most shops aren't open for hunting around in I find linings online even harder.

Smart skirt, blue/black wool, would like a nice smoot soft feel to the lining, nothing all staticy or noisy if possible. I usually buy from B&B because my lovely tailor friend highly recommended them (and they are fabulous!) but the less pricey linings are a minefield to me as I've never really learned about them other than what to put in a fancy jacket!

BrendaP

Re: Best lining for a mid weight wool
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 15:30:24 PM »
Bemburg or other cupro lining fabric.  Lots of online places have it and if you go for black there's no colour matching to worry about.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 15:35:45 PM »
Croft Mill has a good range of lining fabric. You might find something suitable there.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »
I second BrendaP’s recommendation of Bemberg

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 14:26:47 PM »
Another vote for Bemberg.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 15:36:25 PM »
And another vote for bemberg, or bremsilk

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 17:32:32 PM »
Let the bemburg hunt begin then! Thanks guys!