The Sewing Place

Can we develop the darkside

Efemera

Re: Can we develop the darkside
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 18:31:18 PM »
Sorry but I stopped sharing my quits in progress when someone remarked it looked like a tablecloth with sewn-in-place table mats!!! :(

Also had someone from here say about one piece of my work "Liked it more than I thought I would"  !!! WTF?

When you're a beginner, and you like to make things that maybe aren't quite as traditional as some folks, you don't need that kind of discouraging remark, bordering on unkindness. So I joined somewhere kinder to talk about quilts, and show mine there now.

:vintage:
Gordon Bennet.. who the hell said that!... what a crappy thing to say.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 18:58:47 PM »
That's dreadful @LeilaMay I'm so sorry those remarks were passed.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

SingingSinger

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 19:11:12 PM »
As a beginner, I'd welcome some very basic tutorials. I struggled to find anything online about stitch length and thread choice for quilting, for example. And maybe a glossary? It took me ages to work out what WOF meant! To be fair, it might already be on the forum but I've not spotted it yet  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 19:18:21 PM »
  you don't need that kind of discouraging remark, bordering on unkindness

Better check the shed - sounds like the Quilt Police have got out!

Some years ago, when I was gainfully employed, I made quilts for the office Xmas charity raffle. One year's offering was won by someone in our US office - she had appointed a proxy to get tickets for her. Apparently it was destined for her sun room (where, I thought, it will fade in no time). Later I heard that when it got to her, 'it was better than I expected' and was promoted to the house proper!

@LeilaMay Rise above it. It's your quilt and you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Anyway, this is off topic now, let's get back to what we were saying...

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 19:27:38 PM »
When I first came on TSP the abbreviations drove me nuts. I've never been on another forum and I'd never had any sewing tuition. It took me ages to figure them out. I found it extremely frustrating. I remember someone started a thread with ISO in the title. Turns out it means 'in search of'. Really?!?!?!?  :angry:
This year's BOM was very basic and built up skills as the months went on. I think most people learnt something; I know I certainly did. Threads weren't covered but I just tend to experiment on scraps. I lengthen my stitches slightly for quilting but my settings will be different from yours so if Iminei says things like lengthen your stitch to 1.8 I've no idea what that means. The wadding used will affect it too I imagine but again I don't know so I'll practice on a scrap. The BOM is a great way to build skills without jeopardy. You're certainly not going to waste your Sunday best fabric on messing about.  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 19:40:08 PM »
I've got a couple of little wuilts in the works, so would happily do some super basic tutorials involving sttch lengths and definitely happy to mess about with tutorials on thread choice and batting choice and all sorts.

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2020, 22:29:06 PM »
Not quilt police, @Deafoldbat just aspiring to be a friendly,supportive forum to members of all abilities and experience.
That's a kind offer @Syrinx perhaps get together with @Iminei as regards tutorials as she is the tute bod
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 22:31:31 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 22:51:08 PM »
The quilt police can sod off back to @Acorn's hut or wherever we keep them!  :laughing:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 00:17:21 AM »
I'll go and check on them tomorrow... maybe they wriggled out of their ropes and found a way out through the nettles...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

rubywishes

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 00:59:45 AM »
Contemplating asking Imi if she wants me to run a FMQ or FPP quilt BOM next year.

Oooooooooooooooooo  0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

rubywishes

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 01:11:06 AM »

Also had someone from here say about one piece of my work "Liked it more than I thought I would"  !!! WTF?
 :vintage:

I understand your dismay @LeilaMay and had a similar experience on the old version of this forum when trying to do some dressmaking years ago but may I just suggest that in this instance perhaps the poster was commenting because the colours or pattern etc you chose are not her/his normal cup of tea and they were pleasantly surprised to find that they did like them with what you had done? I would almost take it as a compliment that I had produced something that has had that affect on someone!

A while back I posted a pic of a wall hanging I did and was mulling over where to hang it in my house...a poster replied that she'd stick it behind a door as she hates wall hangings. I took no offense at this comment, she was simply stating what she felt about wall hangings in her house. Whilst we all deserve to receive and give politeness and encouragement we also need to not be too sensitive to others comments. "Talking" through this medium can be tricky when we can't see facial cues or hear tonal affectations etc. It is very easy to misread/misinterpret stuff.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:49:19 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Syrinx

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 04:04:47 AM »
You'd hate mother @LeilaMay she regularly makes disparaging waves and remarks about fabric and designs and comments constantly about how much she hates them or dislikes etc.

Then I finish making whatever it is, quilt, bag, clothing item and she's all 'oh I like that much better than I thought I would'. Literally. Every single time. She asks what fabric and I tell her and she makes the "yuk" face. She is impossible. I asked her to pick what fabric she wanted for something and she said she hated everything on the doughty website. So I bought something in colours and patterns she likes, made it up showed her the fabric and she hated is. Showed her the final piece and she liked it.

So I agree that it's supposed to be a compliment, usually from the 'saw that fabric and didn't think it would work but very happy to be surprised that it does" kinda way. I'm sure we'd all love to see your creations here

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 05:52:21 AM »
@LeilaMay  ... ????? Who the hell said that ???

Ive seen your work up close and personal ... and it was your first quilt and it was a double (Something I try and discourage people from making first time out) and you know what I thought of that ... Absolutely Flipping gorgeous!!!

Whoever made that remark to you should hie themselves hence to Specsavers ...

Please dont be put off showing your work to us by someone who obviously knows nothing.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 09:08:17 AM »
Back to the original request in this thread;

I've got a quilt top which has been languishing in the pile of UFOs for long enough now that it's properly matured ready to be finished.  My question is, does it just need quilting and binding or does it need another border?

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

fajita

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
Just quilting and binding.