The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:58 AM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 19:03:25 PM by sewingj »

Francesca

Re: What size pattern for trousers?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
I've never actually made successful trousers, but I believe you should use biggest measurement and then dart to the waist as needed.

Also look into the "fishbowl" - I think DF did something on her blog about it. Use a bit of tinfoil to get an accurate shape for the crotch curve.

You could also do some form of pleating which might make it easier to hide the disparity.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 13:25:38 PM »
Choose a size based on your hips.  Adjust for your larger waist, abdomen.  Generally hips are larger than waist measurements.  But not always.  But the crutch and  fork (the extended area at the top of the leg) are based on the hip measurement.  So if you start with that you may beget a better fit in that area.  Altering the top for waist etc is easier.

jen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
I agree with Ohsewsimple. Pick by the hip size. Take judicious pattern measurements and compare them to your own. Adding in for tum isn't usually too hard. I've just expanded my own jeans block in that area.

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 13:40:36 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 19:02:33 PM by sewingj »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 13:59:07 PM »
If you get a tape measure  and put it round you roughly where the largest area of your behind is, then wiggle it up and down slightly to see what the biggest number is.  That is what I always suggest using.  Now, some of us expand somewhat when we sit down.  Some more than others ! :| it,s always a good idea to keep hold of the tape measure and then sit down.  Allow the tape measure to expand if needed. That is the finished measurement you will need in your trousers.  Measuring when standing is all well and good but you have to sit down too! 0_0

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 14:39:09 PM »
I have made the Summer Caye. They have a lot of ease through the hips, something to bear in mind. They're elasticated at the back. You might find it easier to pick based on hip where you are narrower and let the elastic take care of the disparity.

The are easy to toile up at least.

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 18:15:45 PM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 19:00:41 PM by sewingj »

Didi

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
I have a similar problem, I use my hip measurement to pick the size then just fudge the waist  0_0 if there are darts I leave them out or adjust them. I also do a full tummy adjustment otherwise I find they pull a little across the pot

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 11:21:58 AM »
I have a similar problem, I use my hip measurement to pick the size then just fudge the waist  0_0 if there are darts I leave them out or adjust them. I also do a full tummy adjustment otherwise I find they pull a little across the pot

I do much the same, as well as making sure that I add length to the whole 'body' of the trousers as I can't be doing with anything sitting below my fattest bits.

Apparently, my gluteus minimus is bigger than my maximus lol  Otherwise known as 'high square hip'
C'est moi!