The Sewing Place

Oh the choosing of the fabric!

Lisalou1965

Oh the choosing of the fabric!
« on: November 28, 2020, 16:16:50 PM »
I am stumped. Husband has asked me if I would make a "trip around the world" quilt for our bed. It will be the biggest quilt I have ever done, and the pattern requires 13 fabrics, plus backing. I have thought about it, and have some idea of the colour combo I like, but how to go about choosing 13 fabrics that will go well together? I am maybe not making sense - if that is the case, please tell me, and I will try to make myself more clear. Thing is, this is going to be quite an investment in fabric, for me, and I really don't want to bugger it up! Can anyone give me tips on how to start?
I have gone on patternjam and put this together, but when looking at actual fabrics online (where I can't really put them against each other) I get really lost!

Lisa x
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 16:18:42 PM by Lisalou1965 »
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lilian

Re: Oh the choosing of the fabric!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 16:26:29 PM »
It might be worth looking at jelly rolls, they usually go together  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 16:29:20 PM »
Would this be to your liking?  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Kad

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 16:30:15 PM »
The best bit of advice I got to help choosing colours was to find a fabric that you liked the colours of,  but not necessarily the pattern of. Then use the coloured circles,  ( can't remember what they're called  ), in the selvedge to assist in the choosing of other fabrics. I find this works well if you have access to fabrics that you can touch, but no use if they're on a screen.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 17:45:46 PM »
If that image is a full size quilt, then the squares are going to be at least 5" x 5" finished so jelly rolls won't be wide enough, and it's unlikely that layer cakes cut into 4 will be big enough either.  You need at least FQs if not bigger.

Best I can suggest is getting them all from the same source so that you can at least compare the images.

Doughty's are usually as good on prices as anywhere.  Possibly you could send them an image (by snail mail to avoid differences in the way different screens show colours) with all the colours you want to include and ask them to select.

IMO small-medium prints and batiks are usually best but ask that each fabric is all from the same bit of the colour wheel, ie all orange, or all blue or all whatever.  Don't go for multi-coloured designs as that's likely to throw out the planned design.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
I'd be looking for a charm pack in a color scheme you like, maybe 2 or 3, ad being about the least expensive way to get swatches to try out. You'll at least be able to use them if they are a dud.

I can't imagine buying online for a big quilt unless I got everything from the same collection.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 10:04:17 AM »
Please Please Please DONT go anywhere near a jelly roll!

Yes they're put together so the colours blend with each other (Sometimes) but the second you open the pack the fabrics will start to fray and they're not always cut very accurately ... Long 1/4's cuts of yardage is the way to go.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
I'd hang on until you could go to a quilt shop in person. There is so much discrepancy when looking at colours online.
Good luck with it - lovely idea
LeilaMay

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
I, on the other hand,love jelly rolls and charm packs.
I have made 4 superb ( to work on ) quilts completely with jelly rolls and never had any fraying or unevenly cut strips. Obviously it's your choice and good luck, whichever avenue you go down
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »

I have made 4 superb ( to work on ) quilts completely with jelly rolls and never had any fraying or unevenly cut strips.

Then @Lowena  you have been very lucky!

Another question to address with precuts which have been cut with pinking sheers or a pinked blade is where do you sew your 1/4 inch seam?  From the innermost edge, the middle or the outer edge of the zig-zags?  Or cut them off?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Re: zig zags. As long as you are consistent it doesn't matter whether you measure and sew the peaks or the troughs.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lisalou1965

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 14:48:09 PM »
Thank you my friends for all the input. I have to go to a real fabric shop to get something my mother has asked for, so I think I will try (if husband dearest doesn't faint at the size of the shop) to buy the fabric for the front. For those asking at the beginning, I am looking at doing 4'' squares, making up at 80 inch, including borders. Will take this to my diary once I have the time and the fabric to start!!!

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time