The Sewing Place

Do you plan before you buy fabric?

Butterfly

Do you plan before you buy fabric?
« on: December 08, 2020, 15:09:50 PM »
I've just recently bought several pieces of fabric, some 1/2 yds and some 1 yds, I didn't have anything in mind when I purchased them, just loved the colours and patterns when I saw them in the shop. (Maybe I have an inner Magpie  :). I know at some point they will get used, but do most of you go to the fabric shop with a plan and knowing what you're looking for, or are some like me and buy on impulse?
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Greybird

Re: Do you plan before you buy fabric?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 15:15:19 PM »
Both - except that if you go out looking for something specific, you can never find it. If you buy fabric that appeals to you in it's own right, often the right garment for it will suggest itself. Then, of course, you need to find the right pattern which is another kettle of fish altogether!

fajita

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 15:22:39 PM »
For quilting cottons, I will impulse buy anything that takes my fancy, and sometimes I buy to a specific need.

For clothing and accessories I will have in mind the quantity I need and buy the patterned material on sight.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 15:51:54 PM »
There are many Magpies around Grasshopper  @Butterfly best to look on it as saving pennies for the future and plan on where to put the next parcel of goodies..
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 16:37:59 PM »
I buy when I see something I like.  I know roughly how much I need for a particular garment.  The type of fabric suggests what it will be.  If I find I haven’t quite got enough I find a workaround.  Or use it for something else.  :)

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 16:39:27 PM »
I only do patchwork and quilting , could never make clothes :scream: and
I only buy for a specific project. I plan the quilt ( size,pattern,colours ) and then buy accordingly.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 16:46:30 PM »
I buy what I like, mostly basics, blenders and batiks ... very rarely do I buy patterns or pictorials and my stash has stood me in good stead throughout this dreadful year ...

I've only had to buy some backing fabric for the Corona quilt (and the remains of that backed the Mei (mo)Re Quilt.)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 16:58:39 PM »
Buying fabrics and sewing are two different hobbies.... :laughing:

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 18:37:08 PM »
I used to buy pattern and then search for the right fabric, but that was back in the days when there were real bricks and mortar shops to go to.  Now that I have to buy online it is from necessity the other way around - find a fabric that looks good on screen and then find a pattern to suit.  It's why I now have a large stash of dressmaking fabric.

For patchwork stuff there is a good shop locally, though I haven't been there for months; I just hope she survives the pandemic.  Apart from bigger pieces for backings I buy mostly FQs chosen by colour not design, and like @Iminei  mostly blenders, small prints and batiks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 19:09:13 PM »
I no longer buy quilting cotton unless it's for a specific purpose like backing or binding.  The only exception since 2008! was when I was in Alaska they had batiks with "Alaska" on them and different critters from the area (bears, moose, salmon, etc).  When using the cotton stash it would appear I bought a lot of cat prints so I must have gravitated towards them.  I have a pretty good selection of batiks as well.  I also have a lot of white on white, black on white, gold on white, etc that I dyed. I still have quite a bit of it left to dye which is good because then I can attempt to get colors I need.

For clothing I buy yardage with a garment type in mind (dress, skirt, pants, top, etc) but rarely do I buy for a specific pattern.  The problem I have with my stash is lengths.  Most of it was purchased prior to 2008 and in the 2000s I was into skirts and tops so I have a lot of shorter lengths and now I prefer dresses so sometimes I'll want to use a specific fabric but there isn't sufficient length.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 19:23:29 PM »
If you're buying for patchwork, buy it when you see it - once the design is gone it's gone. Some things 'date', they go out of fashion for a while and you may fall out of love with them and wonder why you bought them. Either use them up as bits to make a backing, or just allow them to 'mature'. I found just the bit I wanted for a quilt in the stash this summer, and I'd had it for 20 years. It's always worth buying neutrals, basics and blenders when you see them, especially if the price is good, but beware cheap fabric - it may just be cheap because it's rubbish.
Buying online is good if you know what you want, but nothing beats a good rummage in a quilting shop - roll on vaccination!

Butterfly

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 19:39:35 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to have two fabric shops closeby. One of them sells different types of fabric, some from end of rolls so the prices are really good, and if I see something I like I buy it as it probably won't be available again, sadly though they don't have many cottons suitable for quilting.  The other shop has a fairly good range to choose from, thus when I go in and see new fabrics my credit card cringes  0_0.

I think Efemera may have diagnosed my problem.... that buying fabric and sewing are two different hobbies  :dance:
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 22:33:18 PM »
I may buy some fat quarters on impulse.  But larger quantities are generally something I only buy when I have a specific project in mind for it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Bjay

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 16:38:56 PM »
I quilt - i go with a list of suggested colours and do buy them but I then b uy a few extra as well.
Goodness k nows why I bought a really dull dirty looking pale yellow.I suppose one day it will be used

Before I joined TSP I saw some wonderful fat 1/4's but didn't buy as i could see  no use for them Now I would buy :D
Trying to find my way on the Dark side