The Sewing Place

Finished machine knit cardigan

Bodgeitandscarper

Finished machine knit cardigan
« on: December 13, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »
Finally, it's done.  In fact it's the second one done as the first one turned out too short  :S

The yarn has been a pain, as it's kind of crinkly/nobbly/lumpy, and it's been very good at getting caught up where it shouldn't, and is probably why I had about six or seven dropped stitches on the back panel.  On the plus side, as it's quite textured, you can't really notice where I've bodged up the dropped stitches  0_0

I had lots of toys out for making this. I designed it on Designaknit, which I could then hook up to the machine and use interactive knitting via the laptop, so it told me when to increase or decrease, which row I was on, and even which needles should have stitches on, brilliant!  I also used the garter carriage for the garter stitch patterned back panel, that took hours, but it's motorised and knits along on it's own. Again, brilliant!  And finally I sewed it up on my new linker - yes, another brilliant!

The only downside is I probably ought to put the machine away now to get the spare bedroom ready for my daughter coming over Christmas.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

b15erk

Re: Finished machine knit cardigan
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
That is lovely Bodge!  I love the colour, and the patterned panel in the back.

I'd love to try a knitting machine, my mum had one when I was very young, but I just have no more room... :'(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 11:53:32 AM »
Thank you, it is a nice pale grey.

Looking at those pics, Dolly really isn't a very good model, it actually looks better on me!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
Lovely @Bodgeitandscarper.  Like the back panel. 
Every time I read you’re posts on knitting I think it’s sad my mum has had to give hers up.  She had garter carriages, a design programme, every gadget imaginable for it.  She kept me in cardigans for years!  But her shoulders and arms are so painful she could no longer use it.  Luckily someone at her knitting lab bought the machine etc. A lot of wool was sold off at the club.  But there was still several boxes that a charity shop was very grateful for. 
I wonder if there will come a time when I have to give up sewing.  :(

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 12:10:17 PM »
Lovely! Nicely knitted. I haven't finished ironing out problems with mine after it's extended storage period. I have narrowed it down (I think!) to the tension wires on the yarn brake. I think they have lost their springiness and are not controlling the flow of the yarn as they should. I have got as far as buying some new ones but now can't get the old ones out! I have been so half-hearted about things lately that my inclination is to walk away from it! You are putting me to shame!

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 14:22:49 PM »
It's a lovely cardigan @Bodgeitandscarper - and I love the back panel. Brings back memories of when I had a garter carriage and a Hague linker! I never had the Designaknit because computers were in their infancy then but I used to use the Knitleader and got good results with it. I enjoy reading your posts about your machine knitting. I nearly cried when I had to sell all my equipment about 10 years ago. I was so attached to it all but I just couldn't use it any more because of neck/shoulder problems. You're right to enjoy yours as much as possible while you can. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 14:49:44 PM »
I remember knitting something like the back piece all over, it took months, that long I nearly left it.  I suppose that took less than 24 hours.  Lovely, grey is not my colour but is still lovely.

Alas a knitting machine would be beyond me, so congratulations @Bodgeitandscarper
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 14:53:20 PM »
Very impressive....