The Sewing Place

Alignment issue

Bill

Alignment issue
« on: December 14, 2020, 13:33:26 PM »
Afternoon folks.
I've noticed that my needle sits slightly (1/2 mm) or so to the right of dead center and so messing up my marked stitch lines.
The needles themselves are fine, it's the actual machine that is off.
I've located what I believe to be an allen/hex grub screw to adjust it but I can't get to it because I can't see a way to remove the cover.
I've taken the front cover off and the bit of plastic that sits next to the thread guide but from that point on I'm in limbo. It's a Singer M2105 if anyone can shed some light on this.
The local sewing machine repairs place is loaded with work till after Christmas unfortunately.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Helen M

Re: Alignment issue
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 15:05:59 PM »
Can't help re the needle but have you some post it notes that you could cut slim strips of the sticky stuff and stick to machine to tide you over until you can get it looked at?

I always use the needle in the left position (no idea why, how or when I got into the habit but it's been decades)  so markings are off for me all the time. I use the right side of the front of the foot for various markings and check with a measure if I'm unsure. On my previous machine I had plastic tape markers on permanently but the bobbin cover gets in the way on this one. It was the same model so why that should be I don't know!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

Kad

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 15:19:59 PM »
@Wayfarer

Try hunting for the machine's service manual online, they are sometimes free to download and offer a wealth of information as they are intended for use by a sewing machine mechanic. DH found the manual for my Janome (free) and sorted a problem on my machine saving the cost of a service.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 16:01:03 PM »
Thanks @Kad
Any chance he could remember where he found it?
I've located mine £15 as a download from some hotel site in the Rocky mountains.
Call me a pessimist but something tells me it's dodgy.

Kad

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 16:20:56 PM »

@Wayfarer
We got the manual for my Janome8900 from www.Manualslib.com.

Hope that helps

Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 18:14:12 PM »
No luck I'm afraid. They only have the user manual.
Thanks anyway @Kad

Kad

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 18:52:48 PM »
Could you possibly find a free manual to download for a similar model. It might be useful, and if not nothing is lost.

weary

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 20:13:22 PM »
Does this video give any clues as to how to proceed perhaps.

I am guessing that the needle bar is similar throughout much of the Singer range.  I couldn't find a video specific to your machine (M2100 range), as it is a new product, but you may be able to identify fundamentally similar machines.  A search on youtube using some combination of the words  +++ singer adjust bar needle centre +++ etc., may well turn-up something more specific.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 22:24:40 PM »
YAAAAAAAAY!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you @weary
That did the trick  :D

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »
So glad to hear you fixed you problem @Wayfarer , I will be having a look at that video.

I have a Singer 611g which I use a lot, and since I had it, it has this problem.  I've put off trying to fix it, as it is in a Horn cabinet, and that makes for a more complicated fix.  Very strangely though, a week or so ago, the problem seemed to resolve itself, and it is sewing beautifully!

Just in case though, I've bookmarked that video!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.