The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Mama likes to make

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
Picked these up at my class last night. Going to make view B.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

elisep

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
Ooh I love that fabric. Birds are very popular right now - I can never seem to find any decent fabric! Is it a jersey?

I've been on a bit of a spending spree on fabric and I really need to rein myself in!! Not allowed to buy anything at the moment unless it is needed for my newest crusade (full seat riding breeches) or a "glam rock" costume for an upcoming gala dinner. I really need to start thinking about this one so I'm not left finishing my costume the day of like I have in previous years!

The last piece of fabric I purchased (which will be the last for a while), was 5 metres of "storm blue" wool twill. It's a light suiting weight, and the plan is to turn it into a matching set of trousers, pencil skirt and blazer for work. I love love love working with wool and I'm looking forward to making it up!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Mama likes to make

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
It's not jersey it's a light woven not sure exactly what I would call it but it's heavier than a chiffon. It's a tiny bit too narrow to cut out the two back pieces in one so I've messed around with the sleeve a little rather than have loads of leftover fabric so fingers crossed it will be ok
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Catllar

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2017, 20:50:54 PM »
Someone stop me I keep taking short breaks from marking and indulging myself with online shopping!  I'll have spent all my exam fees at this rate!

Thought you'd been quiet - marking time, of course!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Acorn

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2017, 17:11:28 PM »
Just been to Calico Kate's and bought this lovely viscose for a dress or, if I can't find the right dress pattern, for a top. 

I also seem to have started buying fat quarters for my next-but-one quilt, which is apparently going to include otters!   :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2017, 19:11:30 PM »
Evidently during the war the fashionable woman about town made a gas mask bag to match her current costume: I've just bought some 1940's style fabric and have an original pattern for a gas mask bag from the July 1941 edition of 'The Ideal Home and Garden' I'm going to make it up (soon-ish) and dangle it on a 1940's Enthusiast Facebook site I belong to and see if I get a bite!!

wrenkins

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2017, 19:12:32 PM »
Very nice Acorn. That otter keep you busy... :| I'll get my coat..... :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Roger

« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2017, 20:53:32 PM »
I've been avoiding my local curtain shop... they're super posh, but have lovely fabrics and sell off cuts, and fabric books.

I walked past today and couldn't resist a rummage in the off cuts rack... and bought this very unphotogenic fabric, which looks textured and grey at a distance but close up is turquoise and amethyst weave. It's a poly cotton with nice drape by Scion... and the offcuts where nice and cheap!

The opulent blue/lace and purple/gold are part of the Mrs' bday pressie... I need to turn them into Salwar/kamez and the pretty fabrics I bought from a neighbour cleaning out her stash... I'm hoping to make a dress or 2 for my daughter.

I really ought to start a Sable spreadsheet! Would help me track my projects and fabrics.

having a spot of image trouble... Images fixed :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 21:08:13 PM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Holly Berry

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2017, 22:24:36 PM »
Evidently during the war the fashionable woman about town made a gas mask bag to match her current costume: I've just bought some 1940's style fabric and have an original pattern for a gas mask bag from the July 1941 edition of 'The Ideal Home and Garden' I'm going to make it up (soon-ish) and dangle it on a 1940's Enthusiast Facebook site I belong to and see if I get a bite!!

The War and Peace show is returning to the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood, you could make some and sell them there, bet they'd sell like hot cakes.
Procrastination get behind me

BrendaP

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2017, 00:25:37 AM »
I bought 8 FQs this afternoon - all creams and off-whites - and they are all now cut up into a zillion pieces.  :snip:  :snip:,
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 16:09:23 PM by sewingj »

Lizzielogs

« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2017, 15:36:38 PM »
The War and Peace show is returning to the Hop Farm at Paddock Wood, you could make some and sell them there, bet they'd sell like hot cakes.

There is a Facebook page called the 1940s Hub and they are badgering me to make some for them - I'm retired and there are not enough hours in the day!!

Acorn

« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2017, 18:04:35 PM »
I like Minerva Crafts - I use them quite a lot.  They're usually pretty quick too.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
HELLOOOOOO!  I am still alive, but no sewing done for several weeks cos of all this ruddy A level marking.  4/5 done now, and the end is in sight, so I did a post on my blog about what I've been buying in my rest breaks. Ahem.

Normal service will resume as soon as possible

https://thedementedfairy.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/menagerie-a-trois/

C'est moi!

Lilian

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2017, 21:04:42 PM »
Looking at the fabrics you've bought - you've emptied Noah's Ark! lol  lovely fabrics, look forward to seeing them made up.  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)