Kayfersmum

Overlocker recommendations around £350
« on: December 27, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Acorn

Re: Overlocker recommendations around £350
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:51:29 AM »
I have this one - mine is badged as Frister and Rossman, but it is a Jaguar.  I wondered about needing a free arm before I got it, but can honestly say there has never been a single moment when I wished I had one!

I am more than happy with it, but I have no experience of other overlockers!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 12:01:25 PM »
I can’t comment on the models listed but I had a Janome with a free arm but didn’t find it helpful, when I got a new machine it was not on my wish list.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 12:06:00 PM »

@Acorn thank you. I’m veering towards the Jaguar so will put it on my list and check it out!

Kayfersmum

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 12:07:05 PM »
@Ellabella that’s helpful, thank you x

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
I have a Juki 654DE which I chose after trawling through the overlocker recommendation posts on here. At the time I paid £425 for it new. It is currently outwith your price range, but it has a sibling, 644DE which is close. The only difference between the two machines is that a couple of controls are inside the machine on the 644, so you have to open the cover to adjust them. I haven't used those in the time I've had the machine so could have saved some money!

It's a real workhorse, produces a good stitch without any fiddling about and deserves the good recommendations it gets.

I don't like freearms and never use them.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 14:45:37 PM by SkoutSews »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
@Kayfersmum its very difficult to advise about machines.  Everyone has different ideas and preferences.  But I have used both Jaguar and Husqvarnas along with many others and taught people how to use them.  There is a learning curve to an overlocker.  I’ve been using them for over 25 years. 
You have to decide what is important to you.  Ease of use and threading?   Stitch quality?   TBH as a first timer I would always go for ease of use and threading.  I know people who don’t use their machines because it’s a faff to change threads or they don’t know what to do when one breaks etc etc. 

My sewing machine is Husqvarna but I wouldn’t have one of their overlockers.  They aren’t made by Husqvarna but Toyota I believe.  There is nothing wrong with them but they don’t 'sound' as good as some.  Sounds daft I know.  :)  But I think other people on here will know what I mean.   They are not the easiest machines to thread.  The Jaguar on the other hand pleasantly surprised me when I had to do a lesson on one of those although I don’t think it was this model.   The front opens up completely and gives you easy access to the loopers.  Genius!  This one also has a thread cutter on the needle plate.  Not essential but a nice little touch.  I also found it made a nice stitch and sounded nice. 

If you can get to a  shop to try machines out that is always the best idea.  However in these times that’s not always possible.  Just be careful where you buy it from. 

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:29:30 PM »
I’ve had a Bernette for 30 years... made by Juki so I’d go with Juki....unless you can splash out for a Babylock.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 13:55:27 PM »
I've been using my Janome overlocker for a long time but I've never had a need for a free arm. In the situation where you'd normally use a free arm on a sewing machine (ie a sleeve cuff or similar) I simply sew from the inside of the sleeve. Same with any other small, hard-to-get-at areas. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 13:56:46 PM »
Yes - someone on here ( @Ploshkin ?) calls it 'sewing in the teacup'.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 14:05:10 PM »
@Ohsewsimple thank you, that’s very helpful. I keep being drawn to the Jaguar overlockers.

I’m mostly housebound so getting out is difficult under normal circumstances. We’re in Tier 4 so almost impossible now

Kayfersmum

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 14:06:04 PM »
Yes - someone on here ( @Ploshkin ?) calls it 'sewing in the teacup'.

I like the sound of that!  :drink:

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 14:12:47 PM »
I got mine from Sewing Machines Direct and they were great.  I used the live chat function a couple of times before ordering, and I remember saying something like "If I contact you when I have it saying 'Help, I have no idea what I'm doing', will you advise me?"  They assured me they would, but I had no problems at all, so I didn't need to.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 14:31:23 PM »

Great. I’ll do the same. Feeling happier now I have a (sort of) plan in place! x

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 14:44:29 PM »
I've never sewn in a teacup.
I have had an Elna 664 for several years, recommended by my elderly sewing machine shop man - I trust his recommendations implicitly.  It has never had a hiccup, and tension is always perfect.
I don't actually find free arms particularly useful.  Whatever you put over it needs to be loose enough to be able to move the fabric round easily without pulling or stretching it which means that it doesn't help at all for small circumferences.  I've recently used my OL to put cuffs on a small child's sweatshirt.  A free arm wouldn't have helped at all because I would have had to stretch the sleeve to go over it.
Life's too short for ironing.