The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Ploshkin

Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« on: December 29, 2020, 17:14:45 PM »
Having got a small 10" rigid heddle loom at the beginning of December I haven't had a lot of time to try it out but I have managed a bit just using some left over knitting wool.
I wound a narrow warp using up the remains of a dark green DK yarn and started off with some plain weave. 
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I can see that my beating is inconsistent but in my defence the yarn is stretchy and spongy and probably not the most suitable for weaving with. I have had to keep cranking up the tension of the warp (though I don't actually know how tight or loose it should be). I'm pleased with my selvedges which seem reasonably tidy and that the piece is a consistent width.
That's where it got left until today.  The instruction booklet that came with the loom has instructions for a sampler so I tried out a couple of different weave patterns.
I like them both and it was a useful exercise in spotting errors.  I realised that I had unwanted weft floats on the basket weave pattern but I could see what had happened and was able to make sure I avoided it.  I found the bit with the blue bits in tricky to get the edges neat and though the left edge has gone ok the right hand side is a car crash.  I stopped trying to work out how it needed to be done - that's for another day.  I think if there was just one more warp thread on that side it would be work ok.  It's useful doing this because I am finding out things that I need to learn to do like weaving in ends when the shuttle runs out and you start a new one.
I haven't got much spare knitting yarn but I have quite a bit of grey and pink which is thinner so when this warp runs out I will have a play with that.  Enjoying the journey so far  :).
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 17:41:57 PM »
Looks great, practise is the best way I have found to learn. 

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 18:12:44 PM »
Great stuff... I have yet to try my ‘surprise’ Christmas gift.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 18:18:02 PM »
Oh dear  :( it sounds much too complicated for me. I faint at the word tension and couldn't cope withything that wasn't straightforward.
I was just coming round to the idea although to be fair the price of looms was putting me off.
Good luck with your journeys
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 18:39:25 PM »
What did you get @Efemera  ?

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 19:14:59 PM »
Well @Ploshkin ...I had visions of something like yours, something I could sit with on my lap.
What I got was a 32” Ashford rigid heddle loom! So no sitting with that on my lap. DD has a lot of textile/ weaver friends and she got this at a ridiculously low price. I haven’t  done anything with it as yet. I have a load of Linton Tweed yarns in my stash so I’ve got no excuse.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 19:55:00 PM »
Ooh, that's big.  I'll be interested in how you get on with it.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 19:56:43 PM »
Ooh, that's big.  I'll be interested in how you get on with it.

So will I! :laughing:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 20:36:29 PM »
@Efemera was that the Christmas surprise you've been mentioning?

I think that's the  size I have. When a friend moved out of state she left this on my doorstep one day. Poor thing has been in the garage since. Too many helper cats.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 13:26:36 PM »
I've completed some random bits of weaving on the short warp that I threaded (installed/warped/)  It's not pretty but I learnt lots along the way including things that I need to find out before my next attempt. 

What I learnt:
I enjoy doing it and it's definitely for me. 
It takes a lot of concentration when you're doing anything other than plain weave (I didn't really get an opportunity to spend any time on it - just wove a few rows in passing every so often)
My beating at the start (left hand side) was too heavy
I need to find out how to weave in ends - I didn't bother on this bit.
I need to learn how to hemstitch to stop the weaving coming apart at the ends
Thickish knitting wool is definitely not for weaving with
I hate practising and just want to get on and do something 'real'  (I know that already!)

Warts and all here it is.  I was pleased that I managed to keep the weaving width pretty consistent (only 1/8" variation) despite using different thickness yarns for the weft and different weave patterns.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 13:28:35 PM by Ploshkin »

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 14:46:46 PM »
I have googled a bit to try and find out what 'beating' is. As with many topics, they are often US sites and I haven't found the term there. I think it's likely to be the squashing together of the weft threads so they sit evenly and are spaced correctly. Of course, as I have no intention of taking up weaving, never say never, I don't need to know this.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 15:28:16 PM »
Yes, @Flobear that's what it is.  I seem to recall that you were not going to be lured to the dark side  :ninja:

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 16:31:15 PM »
Yes, @Flobear that's what it is.  I seem to recall that you were not going to be lured to the dark side  :ninja:

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 18:47:07 PM »
That looks really good...I’ve not warped mine yet...too busy sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 19:08:00 PM »
Get warping @Efemera
I realised why I like doing it.  There is nothing electric / electronic so you have complete control and if something  goes wrong you can work out why and (hopefully) fix it.  It doesn't make any noise either.  I used to machine knit and liked it for the same reason ( though there was a bit of noise with that).
I've put another warp on in 2 different colours but any suggestion that I might have known what I was doing is entirely coincidental  :)