The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Acorn

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2024, 13:38:02 PM »
That's wonderful!   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2024, 13:41:00 PM »
Amazing @Ploshkin That's fantastic.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2024, 13:41:45 PM »
Absolutely beautiful @Ploshkin you must be so satisfied.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2024, 13:55:13 PM »
That is very impressive @Ploshkin.  Must be very satisfying having woven the cloth as well as made the garment. 

Lachica

« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2024, 14:46:57 PM »
That's great @Ploshkin. Very impressive. I suppose the next step is spinning your own wool - but I recall you saying your sheep are evershedders so I suppose you'd need to scavenge the wool from fences & brambles.  :S
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2024, 15:10:50 PM »
@Lachica i don't know why but I've always had zero interest in spinning - I'd rather stand on a plug.  That said, i did do a drop spindle workshop last year just in case I wanted to incorporate a bit of handspun in my weaving.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2024, 16:12:52 PM »
The weaving police can go take a running jump. It's fabulous.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Hideout Hen

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2024, 19:16:27 PM »
What an accomplishment. Well done.  :thumb:
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2024, 19:24:03 PM »
Brilliant!!

Ploshkin

« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2024, 16:14:21 PM »
I'm embarking on a new weaving project.
Sis in FoD (not Flobear) has a set of 4 dining chairs, inherited from mum.  I remember them being bought  c1967.  They are Scandinavian design and look every bit as modern today as they did then.  I don't know what the wood is but it is a very light colour - she has the table too.  The seat and backrest covers are now decidedly threadbare (mum had re covered the seats once many years ago) so I have offered to re cover them with handwoven fabric.

I have warped my floor loom with some thread to do a pattern sample.  The yarn is 100% cotton, recommended by Haydn, the weaver in the weaving shop.  These are the colours I am using to fit in with her slate floor and newly painted 'Sahara' walls.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I'm doing the 6" wide sample warp half and half each colour and I will do the weft in blocks of each colour too as I am trying various twill patterns and don't know which colour will be dominant with each pattern.   I have threaded the warp through the reed and heddles but haven't tied on yet.
Watch this space.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2024, 20:25:56 PM »
@Ploshkin look forward to seeing these done. 
My Danish table and other furniture is beech.  But they also has maple at the time which was even paler.  I love Scandi stuff.  As you say, looks modern even if it’s older.  We’ve had our furniture 25 years I would think and I still love it. 

Celia

« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2024, 21:35:43 PM »
Sounds brilliant, I am looking forward to seeing it.

Nevis5

« Reply #237 on: March 15, 2024, 08:43:17 AM »
Wow, what a project!  Am in awe - I'm looking forward to seeing the results too xx

Ploshkin

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2024, 10:18:25 AM »
I have woven a sampler with 9 different twill weaves (+plain weave) - all the same threading but different treadling sequences.  I have used each of the two colours in the warp and the weft so there is a block of 4 for each pattern.  It is really interesting to see how the colours play with each other - 2 blocks of the same weave pattern can look entirely different depending on which colour is in the warp / weft.  It's also interesting to see the textured patterns in the plain colour sections.
I am sending it to sis for her to choose what she wants.  She was quite keen on the idea of having each chair in a different weave and I sampled the ones she picked out of my pattern book and added a few extras until I ran out of warp.  There were a couple of treadling errors that I have marked so that she knows it is not part of the pattern.

Here is a bit of the sampler
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 10:20:51 AM by Ploshkin »

Acorn

« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2024, 14:51:45 PM »
Wow!!! Just... wow!!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.