The Sewing Place

New year.... new sewing machine

Iminei

Re: New year.... new sewing machine
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 15:05:09 PM »
Totally agree ... NEVER throw away your sewing machine/embroidery machines packaging.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Arloony

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 13:36:45 PM »
Good advice! thanks!

@ Maliw - I spoke to Russell this morning who was really helpful.

I changed my mind again and will go for Janome 5060QDC...…….....I think! lol.

thank you all very much for your replies :)

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
Well @Arloony did you get your sewing machine and do you like it compared to your old one.  Or are you  still  :thinking:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Arloony

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 13:19:17 PM »
Thank you for asking :)
Yes, my new sewing machine arrived last week and so far I am so so pleased with it. I went for Janome 5060 in the end.
It has everything I need and more!

For the first time this week I tried free motion quilting...and oh boy!!! they make it look so easy on tutorials...even the "simple" ones for beginners lol.

I am not sure what speed is best for it? very very slowly? medium fast? I just worry it puts a lot of work in the needle?

I have got a LOT to learn still. but I love my Janome so far! :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 19:03:24 PM »
For the first time this week I tried free motion quilting...and oh boy!!! they make it look so easy on tutorials...even the "simple" ones for beginners lol.

I am not sure what speed is best for it? very very slowly? medium fast?

Once you've cracked it, it is easy...but it requires both the 'p'-words. That's practice, lots of it, and patience, lots of that too.

The basic thing to remember is if you move the fabric too fast and run the machine too slow you'll get big stitches. If you run the machine too fast and the fabric too slow you'll get tiny stitches. You just have to find the combination that works for you.

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 20:46:47 PM »
I've only done a very little bit of FMQ.  One thing I found difficult at first was restarting when I'd stopped without getting a jerk and a big, stitch.  I solved that by doing the first stitch (or even two) on the spot then it was much easier to take off smoothly.  I actually did a bit of FMQ on the last quilt I made.  I didn't have the confidence, experience  or stamina to do the whole thing so I did a straight line pattern over the quilt then I did smaller bits if FMQ in some of the spaces.  It was a good, half way house.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 21:35:36 PM »
One bit of advice - when you've done some and you don't think it's very good, leave it for at least a day and then take a look.  What you think are glaring faults when you're doing it may actually have disappeared overnight!   :meditation:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Arloony

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »
Thank you for your good advice as usual.

I found the fabric doesn't slide as much I as Imagined it would be ...lol
Of course I dropped the feed dog and I also use gloves.

Has any of you using the "supreme slider"? I saw this in on one of Erica Arndt's youtube video
It is a silicon sheet you place under the fabric and it glides better....apparently.
it is very expensive but wondered if it was worth the investment.

I will keep on trying.
Thanks
 :sew: :sew: :sew: <3

KayK

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 11:24:49 AM »

Has any of you using the "supreme slider"? I saw this in on one of Erica Arndt's youtube video
It is a silicon sheet you place under the fabric and it glides better....apparently.
it is very expensive but wondered if it was worth the investment.

I will keep on trying.
Thanks
 :sew: :sew: :sew: <3

Don't bother with the 'Supreme slider' - a much cheaper option and easy to use is a non-stick oven sheet!  Either buy one of the plasticky versions, and for a quick trial, just use a sturdy piece of baking parchment!  Blu-tack it to the table, and cut a weeny hole where the needle goes through, and you're away.  Just make sure it is a little bigger than the table or extension of the machine, so it drapes over the edge and won't catch on the fabric.

If your machine has a speed setting, I would firstly run it on slow, and try to match your stitching with the speed.  It simply is just practice, practice, practice.   Another easier method to learn is put some fabric in an embroidery hoop, and just fiddle around - you haven't got to haul a lot of fabric around, and just hold the hoop loosely.

Hope you get hooked - I have free motioned whole quilts, and when you feel happy, you can try most of your stitches free motion as well and see what happens!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Arloony

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 13:24:23 PM »
Don't bother with the 'Supreme slider' - a much cheaper option and easy to use is a non-stick oven sheet!  Either buy one of the plasticky versions, and for a quick trial, just use a sturdy piece of baking parchment!  Blu-tack it to the table, and cut a weeny hole where the needle goes through, and you're away.  Just make sure it is a little bigger than the table or extension of the machine, so it drapes over the edge and won't catch on the fabric.

If your machine has a speed setting, I would firstly run it on slow, and try to match your stitching with the speed.  It simply is just practice, practice, practice.   Another easier method to learn is put some fabric in an embroidery hoop, and just fiddle around - you haven't got to haul a lot of fabric around, and just hold the hoop loosely.

Hope you get hooked - I have free motioned whole quilts, and when you feel happy, you can try most of your stitches free motion as well and see what happens!

Oh yes!!!! what a fabulous idea!!! I will try the baking parchment later.

I will check videos of how to use embroidery hoops and give it a go perhaps?

Thank you :)
KEEEEEEEP SEWING :sew: <3

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 13:25:06 PM »
@Arloony this was the first bit of fmq I did after a few practice sandwiches (which just bored me).  I used this piece to make a knitting bag.  I divided the piece into columns first then only had to concentrate on a small space for each bit so didn't have the problem of getting trapped in a corner or not knowing where to go next.  I started at the bottom of the column and worked upwards each time.  It enable me to concentrate on just the stitching and moving the fabric at the right speed.  Personally, I found a medium / slow speed the best.  I have found the string with a repeated motif a good thing to do as you can stop and start and look where you need to go next.  I used it on a quilt where I did a meandering string with stars along it in the background fabric spaces between the pattern.      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.