The Sewing Place

Hello, I’m new here so let me tell you about myself....

Aunty Stitches

Hello, I’m new here so let me tell you about myself....
« on: January 16, 2021, 12:05:56 PM »
  I learnt to do dressmaking and embroidery at school, in the 60s and 70s and it has always been a part of my life. Back then I made my own clothes and also toys and dolls. In the last 15 years I have done a lot of appliqué and free motion machine embroidery, mainly to decorate aprons.

I have learnt how to make bags (with hardware) and use hand embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery and appliqué to embellish them.

I have also learnt new skills from several Craftsy online courses. I did Pattern Drafting from Ready-to-Wear by Stefanie Lincecum and Hand-Embellishing Knit Fabric: Stenciling, Appliqué, Beading and Embroidery by Natalie Chanin. I also found Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quilt-making Skills with Gail Kessler useful!

I have done various curtain and garment alterations (as required by my non-sewing friends and family) usually helped along by a YouTube video!

I used to write regular posts for sew-what’s-new.com, now sew-what’s-new.net, but it got lonely as I seemed to be the only active member, and I gave that up in 2019.  I have also written guest posts for Chris W Designs, an Australian bag pattern designer. I have an Instagram page (also aunty stitches) and happily respond to queries and appeals for help from other sewers on there.

Lockdown was fine as it gave me more time to sew, but I now have two crates full of bags I had hoped to take to a Craft Fair, and no room to store more!

A new white puppy  :woof: with sharp teeth and claws put a stop to my sewing the ornate Alabama Studio garments, and as my sewing room is my conservatory it is far too cold to be in there now!

So I am looking for inspiration, involvement and perhaps entertainment whilst sat next to the fire, dreaming of sewing something new as soon as a heater is enough to keep me warm in my sewing place!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 17:20:42 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

Re: Hello, I’m new here so let me tell you about myself....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »
Hello and welcome. Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? I'm in the Broads National Park.
Do you do patchwork and quilting?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:20:57 PM »
Welcome to TSP. you sound a very busy person. 
I like CW designs.  Quite intricate.  Not got round to making any yet but they always look interesting.    I bought the Penny Inn wallet.  When I feel I can devote hours I may have a go.  But at the moment I’m not going anywhere to use a purse.  :)

fajita

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »
Welcome @Aunty Stitches  :drink: :flower:

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:41:52 PM »
Hello there...

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 12:52:53 PM »
Welcome from me too @Aunty Stitches  :D

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 13:07:43 PM »
Hello and welcome @Aunty Stitches , you certainly have lots of skills. I am in south Suffolk, the East Anglian membership is growing nicely. Look forward to seeing pics of your sewing sometime.
Still learning

twopence

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 15:24:17 PM »
Hello from me too.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 15:38:13 PM »
Hello and welcome.  Has anybody mentioned yet that we love to see lots of pics of any makes good or bad - although to be fair, the bad ones seem to solely down to me  :laughing:

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 16:01:58 PM »
Welcome @Aunty Stitches , you're on the map.

Fellow pet-owners also like to see photos of your pets - when you have a minute.

https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,7077.0.html
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

nototie

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 16:34:08 PM »
Welcome @Aunty Stitches!

If you have pictures, I’d love to see them.  :)

Stitches

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 17:18:11 PM »

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 19:42:10 PM »
Welcome @auntystitches, looking forward to seeing your photos.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 19:52:23 PM »
Hello hello!  We learned to sew about the same time, different continents.  ;)

I like the online crafting/sewing streaming services. I have both Craftsy and Creativebug. Quite enjoyable when it's too hot to do anything. Our summers are brutal.

There are several bag makers here.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.